ZFS Replication and making the destination read/write

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyw

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've managed to set up replication between two freenas 8.3-p1 boxes and that has all worked very well but what I want to do is make the destination (the pull box) read/write. I've deleted the replication task on PUSH but I can't make PULL read/write.

Everytime I try to write data to the folder using CIFS I get told that I don't have the permissions.

Everytime I try to change the permissions it either says 'An error has occurred!' or 'Mount point updated' but never actually updates the mount point.

So, how do I tell Freenas that this dataset is no longer part of a replica and to act like a normal dataset?

I've just checked the messages log and it's certainly got the replicated data as read-only:

Dec 30 12:33:26 store06 notifier: chmod: /mnt/storage/veeam/DCS03/DCS032012-11-04T180058.vib: Read-only file system
Dec 30 12:33:26 store06 notifier: chmod: /mnt/storage/veeam/DCS03/DCS032012-10-28T200045.vbk: Read-only file system
Dec 30 12:33:26 store06 notifier: chmod: /mnt/storage/veeam/DCS03/DCS03.vbm: Read-only file system

Thanks.

Gary.

bollar

Patron
You'll need to do this from the command line within FreeNAS, or via ssh.

Code:
zfs set readonly=off tank/root

Where tank and root are the pool name and path to the dataset.

It sounds like you already know this, but it's important to remember that you can't replicate to that file system once you've changed the contents of it. Even doing a directory list once you've turned read only off is enough to break the replication.

Garyw

Dabbler
You'll need to do this from the command line within FreeNAS, or via ssh.

Code:
zfs set readonly=off tank/root

Where tank and root are the pool name and path to the dataset.

Perfect, thank you!

It sounds like you already know this, but it's important to remember that you can't replicate to that file system once you've changed the contents of it. Even doing a directory list once you've turned read only off is enough to break the replication.

Yes I do, this is a one off replication just to move data from A to B whilst I rebuild the older FreeNAS box.

Thanks again!

Garyw

Dabbler
Does this work for iSCSI LUNs?

If you are talking about creating a replication task for the LUN then yes, ZFS won't care what the data is as it'll just see the disk blocks that need to be moved from one system to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.