ZFS replication and Free Space on Backup Drive Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, first time poster, I am having a problem with replication on my Freenas 9.3 setup.

I have 2x3tb Drives mirrored (doing snapshots.) and 1 drive as a backup for local replication. At some point recently I changed the way snapshots were being done and the replication schedule to allow it to work all day. However after making this change, the local replication farted out on me, and was utilizing near 100% cpu time since then. After investigating I found out what I guess was the initial replication after the changes never ended up finishing. I disabled snapshots and the replication, and now in the error log I get the message "
Replication result: cannot receive new file-system stream: out of space" when the process finally finished (zfs list -o space shows 569 GB free). To make a long story short I was just going to wipe out the backup drive (since the replication is now stale.) and start over. My question is should I just completely destroy the volume to make sure this error doesn't crop up again? Or is there an easy way to wipe it out the files quickly. My 2nd question is do the volume settings need to be the same for both the source and target for replication (I had no compression on the main and compression enabled on the target) Dedup is also turned off.

D

dlavigne

My question is should I just completely destroy the volume to make sure this error doesn't crop up again? Or is there an easy way to wipe it out the files quickly.

I would try checking the box "Delete stale snapshots on remote system" first.

My 2nd question is do the volume settings need to be the same for both the source and target for replication (I had no compression on the main and compression enabled on the target) Dedup is also turned off.

No.

Actually it was already checked. I also have 'Recursively replicate child datasets snapshots:' enabled. I tried to do a replication again after hours, and it is sitting at 41% complete, but it failed around the 60% mark last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.