ZFS receive from non-TrueNAS system

JanHolbo

Cadet
Preamble:

I have been running a Debian 10 home server with ZFS on Linux. On this server I have 1 pool with 3 datasets. The pool was built as a raidz1 with 5 x 500 GB HDDs. One of these have subsequently been replaced by a 1 TB drive.

I now wish to move to TrueNAS Core. I have a decomissioned PC on which I have installed TrueNAS Core and a pool with 2 x 3 TB mirror vdev.

I was hoping to do a zfs send/receive over the network but I have yet to manage to allow root login over SSH on the TrueNAS box. I have been searching but so far without luck for any solutions.

I am fairly knowledgable about Linux systems but less so on *bsd.

Goal: transfer the datasets from the pool on the Debian server to the new TrueNAS server and then subsequently install TrueNAS and recreate the pool - perhaps as a 6 disk raidz2 and then use this as a backup - setting up automaic replication through the TrueNAS ZFS send/receive GUI page.

Problem:
Plan B is to move the data with an external hdd as the zfs send/receive medium. I have done the appropriate zfs send on the debian box and the dataset stream on that hdd. But how to do the zfs receive?

At first my plan was to plugin the USB drive, then go to the shell to mount it and issue the zfs receive command. But somehow I cannot manage to mount the drive:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/usbtmp
mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbtmp

But I get device not found.

Plan B I thought - what about the GUI? I tried importing the disk but that just imports the files - not the dataset?

I would prefer to do the transfer over the network so that is really priority one. I have seen tutorials on how to do this transfer with SSH keys rather than login but those have failed me. Maybe I haven't seen the right one, so if you have a link, please share it.

Second solution would be to mount the USB drive and do the zfs receive from there - but how do I mount the drive?

sretalla