ZFS raidz2 pool extend

chrisdeng

Cadet
I am using Freenas 9.10. I used 4 1tb disks to form a raidz2 pool. Now my pool space is not enough. I wanted to expand the space, so I added another 2 1TB disks via Volume Manager. I added it as a strip, and added it in 2 times. I was expecting to change from 4 disks raidz2 to 6 disks raidz2 but to my surprise, the system showed that my pool became 4 disks raidz2 and 2 disks strip. I tried to remove these 2 disks but failed, I couldn't delete these 2 disks in volume status. I use shell "zpool remove <volume> <disk gptid>" but it prompts "cannot remove /dev/gptid/d7d34394-0d0c-11ed-b937-0025905341dc: only inactive hot spares, cache, top-level, or log devices can be rem oved". Is there any way I can change my pool back to 4 disks raidz2?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• status.jpg
    status.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 108

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to remove VDEVs from a RAIDZx pool. It’s also not possible to expand a RAIDZx VDEV.

To remedy the situation will mean destroying your pool, rebuilding it, and reloading the data from backup.

sretalla