ZFS raid on corral, move to 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsandeberg

Cadet
Hi
I having a question, i had FreeNAS 9.10 and upgraded to Corral. I have a 5 disk ZFS raid cluster. Can i do a clean install in a new USB drive with FreeNAS 11 and keep my data and my ZFS Raid set? Or how should I do it? Or should i consider running FreeNAS on a SSD instead of USB drive?
Please help?

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

hsandeberg

Cadet
Thanks for the fast answers, yes it will be an SSD instead. When the 11 is installed can I just go to Storage and Import my disks?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Thanks for the fast answers, yes it will be an SSD instead. When the 11 is installed can I just go to Storage and Import my disks?
You can. BUT when and if you are asked if you want to UPGRADE THE POOL, I would wait.
Upgrading the pool once you get to version 11.0 will prevent you from mounting that pool
ever again in any of the older versions. To put it in a nut shell, it's a one way street...

upgade-pool.JPG

edit: add visual

Last edited:

hsandeberg

Cadet
Ok, so i dont have to update the pool then! I will wait, but i think i wont go back to older version, but i liked the 9.10, much easier than corral version.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Upgrading the pool once you get to version 11.0 will prevent you from mounting that pool
ever again in any of the older versions.
That's not true!

FreeBSD 11 only adds two feature flags: sha512 and skein for checksumming and dedup. Most users will not have actually used these in any dataset, so they should still be marked as "enabled", so pools that were either upgraded or created in Corral will mostly just import in 9.10.2. If you actually used either of these feature flags, you most likely knew what you were getting yourself into.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
That's not true!
Well then some changes with that section of the 11.0 User Guide need to happen
because that's the way I understood this to work. :confused:

*************************************************************************************************
Before upgrading an existing ZFS pool, be aware of these caveats first:

• the pool upgrade is a one-way street, meaning that if you change your mind you cannot go back to an earlier ZFS version or downgrade to an earlier version of the software that does not support those feature flags.
**************************************************************************************************
So Eric, you are saying the feature flags in the upgrade (11.0) are supported in both Corral
and 9.10.2 U5?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well then some changes with that section of the 11.0 User Guide need to happen
because that's the way I understood this to work. :confused:

*************************************************************************************************
Before upgrading an existing ZFS pool, be aware of these caveats first:

• the pool upgrade is a one-way street, meaning that if you change your mind you cannot go back to an earlier ZFS version or downgrade to an earlier version of the software that does not support those feature flags.
**************************************************************************************************
So Eric, you are saying the feature flags in the upgrade (11.0) are supported in both Corral
and 9.10.2 U5?
The feature flags aren't supported, but feature flags are tri-state: Non-existent, available and in-use (not ZFS terminology).

In this particular case, 99% of users will never actually use the new feature flags, so they stay available instead of in-use. As long as that is the case, the previous version of ZFS will be able to use the pool.

Even if it's not the case, moving the affected data to new datasets that do not use the new hashes and deleting the old ones will render the pool importable on older versions.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The feature flags aren't supported, but feature flags are tri-state: Non-existent, available and in-use (not ZFS terminology).

In this particular case, 99% of users will never actually use the new feature flags, so they stay available instead of in-use. As long as that is the case, the previous version of ZFS will be able to use the pool.

Even if it's not the case, moving the affected data to new datasets that do not use the new hashes and deleting the old ones will render the pool importable on older versions.
You know what I'm going to ask next?
What purpose is served for the documentation to scare the shit out of an average user and give such an ominous warning regarding pool updating,
when it's a very long way from being "a one way street".

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You know what I'm going to ask next?
What purpose is served for the documentation to scare the crap out of an average user and give such an ominous warning regarding pool updating,
when it's a very long way from being "a one way street".
Because it is a one way street. Once you upgrade you can't downgrade. And not all features are created equal. Some are out into affect immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Because it is a one way street. Once you upgrade you can't downgrade. And not all features are created equal. Some are out into affect immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Right.

FreeBSD 11's new feature flags are somewhat unusual, because they're niche features unlikely to see much use in most systems. The biggest bunch of users who wants these are those who use dedup, since that requires a cryptographically secure hash, which the default fletcher isn't. Dedup uses SHA256 by default, which is much slower. SHA512 is an easy in-place upgrade that is faster than SHA256 in 64-bit systems. Skein is even faster, so it's going to be the more popular option of the two - but fletcher is even faster, and it's good enough if you only need to verify integrity (IOW, collisions are acceptable).

Status
Not open for further replies.