ZFS Raid as iSCSI extend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helloha

Contributor
Hi,

When trying to create a iSCSI extend I can only see individual disks in the drop down menu when selecting a device, not the ZFS datasets.

I want to use a raidz dataset as an iSCSI device, is this not possible?

Regards,
K.

Last edited:

sfcredfox

Patron
You need to create a zvol.

Also, there are lots of posts about performance, sync writes, and other stuff for iscsi. I'd read up on it. If you go this route, you need to design it right or its performance will suck.

helloha

Contributor
I'm saturating a 1Gb link right now, thats all I can manage anyway.

I did already seem to corrupt an extent file, so I'm a bit worried about iSCSI at this point.

I put a bunch of files on an iSCSI disk from different machines. Disconnected and when reconnecting my entire system just froze up. Tried on my laptop and the exact same thing happend.

Had to delete it and create a new extend from scratch.

I'm hoping that an actual physical volume is more robust.

But I'm a bit afraid of locking up all my files on a block level that might become completely inaccessible when corrupted...

Thanks!
K.

Last edited:

sfcredfox

Patron
Do what you're comfortable with. Many people use iSCSI, and I have had no issues really.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I put a bunch of files on an iSCSI disk from different machines. Disconnected and when reconnecting my entire system just froze up.

You can not access same iSCSI disk from more then one machine under pain of inevitable data corruption, which is probably what you have got. The only exceptions are specially designed clustered file system, for example, VMware's VMFS. Windows' default NTFS is not clustered! If you want to access iSCSI from Windows, you must create separate disk for every initiator.

helloha

Contributor
I see, that's news to me.

I thought shared storage was one of the features of iSCSI. I thought this was the case for fibre channel and SAN solutions.

I was experimenting to find a way to share video media over the network so multiple editors could access it.

I'm also on OSX and using a GlobalSAN to connect to iSCSI.

Cheers!
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.