I am planing to use my current PC as a home NAS, the hardware is:

Case 6-Bay NAS Case
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 Pro 2200G
MB Asrock B450M Pro4
RAM Samsung 16GB ECC U-DIMM x2
HDD 8TB Toshiba MG06ACA800E x6
NIC Mellanox MNPA19-XTR ConnectX-2 EN 10G NIC on PCIe 2.0 x4
Boot Intel Optane M10 16GB

The current plan is to make a RAIDZ2 array using the 6x 8TB HDD but the MB has only 4 SATA, I have to buy a SAS HBA PCIe Card.
Considered that I may add more HDDs in future, a LSI SAS 9212-4i4e might be a good choice in this case. The HDDs (future) will be stored in a 2U 12-Bay HDD Cage with SAS expander.

But then the problem exists, the HDDs will be controlled by two different controllers, one is MB Chipset and the other is SAS HBA Card.
I would like to know if this configuration will cause problems.

Thank you.

I run across multiple controllers all the time. I think quite alot of us do. I haven't had many hiccups if any. In this particular situation, just dont use any data disks on MB ports, you need a HBA anyway so just run all your data on IT. I always keep my 2 boot disks and my 2 jail disks on my MB and use LSI HBAs to cover the data disks however many there will be. In your case youll only have 6 which will all fit on a 9211. I got a machine with 20 disks in it and to be quite honest im not even sure what disk is connected where with what cable, its great. ZFS does not care.

Edited..

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I would like to know if this configuration will cause problems.

No, it won't cause any problems, as long as you are following standard practices. There are certain cases where if you try to do things from the CLI, or you try to put an SAS HDD on a SATA port, that things won't work right. Don't do those things. What you've described should be fine.

testcb00

Dabbler
Thank you for your reply, so I will need a LSI SAS 9212-4i4e in IT mode then the NAS should be fine.