ZFS Disk/Volume Total Size Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0xy

Cadet
Hi,

I've had a search but cant really find any posts that are similar to this problem. I have two disks (both Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm), one is 1TB and one 500GB.

I created paired them in a stripe, which reported back as approx 1.28TB on inital setup. After creating a couple of datasets (no limits) and sharing them out via CIFS I proceeded to copy data to the shares. After copying around 300-350gb, the reported total size in FreeNAS and via windows when the share is mapped dropped to 1.11TB (From 1.28TB). I saw this dropping as the files were copying. Now I am just wondering why the TOTAL size is dropping? Obviously the available space figure will drop as data is put on the drives, but not sure why the total is?

Am I missing something or could there be a problem here?

Cheers.

sqwob

Explorer
i'm surpised you can create a striped set of different disks, normally you would have a disk of max 1tb (twice the size of the smallest disk in your array)

f0xy

Cadet
Well I *think* it was striped, it only gives two options when setting up a disk?

All I wanted for now was a combined storage space based on the two discs (1TB + 500GB), I do not need redundancy as this is only a backup of another backup. I don't understand the 'total' space going down as data is being copied to it, very wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.