Yet another mDNS problem

-fun-

Contributor
I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U3, upgraded from an 11.3 a few days ago. My client is a Mac (10.13 / High Sierra). The TrueNAS server and my client are on the same subnet / broadcast domain. TrueNAS is serving AFP as well as SMB shares.

I've always had trouble already with previous versions of FreeNAS with announcements of the shares. It worked some times, most of the time it didn't.

The SMB shares are simply not announced. Before TrueNAS this at least worked intermittently, now it doesn't even do that anymore.

I checked this many times with Discovery and dns-sd on my Mac and I reliably get _smb._tcp. announcements from other hosts in the network.

Code:
FlosMBP:~ fu$ dns-sd -B _smb._tcp.
Browsing for _smb._tcp.
DATE: ---Fri 30 Apr 2021---
21:05:12.466  ...STARTING...
Timestamp     A/R    Flags  if Domain               Service Type         Instance Name
21:05:12.467  Add        3   5 local.               _smb._tcp.           LIBREELEC
21:05:12.468  Add        2   5 local.               _smb._tcp.           LivsMacBook

I can always access the shares on TrueNAS just fine if I connect directly.

I have also no trouble using time machine. The _adisk._tcp. announcements work reliably for both AFP and SMB shares (8 shares overall).

Because mDNS traffic arrives without trouble at my client including from my TrueNAS server I do not investigate network problems at the moment (like Unifi APs prohibiting stations from propagating multicast etc.). I assume the problem lies at TrueNAS.

I tried to restart services with service avahi-daemon onerestart and midclt call service.restart mdns (as proposed elsewhere here) to no avail. Also restarting my Mac did not help (and how should it anyway ...).

Any idea what to investigate or how to solve this?

-fun-

Contributor
I did
Code:
service avahi-daemon stop
avahi-daemon --debug

Result:
Code:
root@unger:~ # service avahi-daemon stop
Stopping avahi-daemon.
root@unger:~ # avahi-daemon --debug
Found user 'avahi' (UID 200) and group 'avahi' (GID 200).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.7 starting up.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/ADISK.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/AFPOVERTCP.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/DEV_INFO.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/HTTP.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/HTTPS.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/MIDDLEWARE.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/MIDDLEWARE_SSL.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/NFS.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/SFTP_SSH.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/SMB.service.
Loading service file /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/SSH.service.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bge0.IPv4 with address 172.27.2.16.
New relevant interface bge0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for fe80::3664:a9ff:fe9a:3128 on bge0.*.
Registering new address record for 172.27.2.16 on bge0.IPv4.
Server startup complete. Host name is unger.local. Local service cookie is 3373415169.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/SSH.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/SMB.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/SFTP_SSH.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/NFS.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/MIDDLEWARE_SSL.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/MIDDLEWARE.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/HTTPS.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/HTTP.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/DEV_INFO.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/AFPOVERTCP.service) successfully established.
Service "unger" (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/ADISK.service) successfully established.

-fun-

Contributor
I have a correction to what I said above:
The SMB shares are simply not announced. Before TrueNAS this at least worked intermittently, now it doesn't even do that anymore.

Today in the morning I observed the server in the Mac's Finder and was able to access the SMB shares this way. So there must have been an announcement even though I was late to "catch it in the act".

So this should read rather "The SMB shares are almost never announced."

Which brings me to another question: Macs ignore AFP shares from a server once they become aware of SMB shares from that very same server. To avoid this in the past I configured my SMB service to use a different name for SMB via auxiliary parameter in the SMB service: zeroconf name = NAS.

Should this work with TrueNAS?