BUILD Yet another 1st FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimakaze

Cadet
I have been following the discussions on these FreeNAS forums for a while now, and I'd like to say a big thank you to the contributors that have shared their insights and experience so freely. Your time and effort is very much appreciated by this novice!

Through the forum and lots of Googling and YouTube watching, I've tried to get a basic understanding of FreeNAS and ZFS. However, I'm sure I've missed something in the plan for my build - so I'd really appreciate any pointers or warnings. Sorry for "Yet Another" 1st FreeNAS Build question!

My intended use case and requirement:

* File storage for music (FLAC) and HD video that I stream using JRiver on the client side. I don't think I need to do any transcoding, just mount as a shared drive to the client player devices.
* Backup for multiple (around 10+ Macs, PCs, Linux). There are only two people in the household, however. I'm also planning to do nightly backup (rsync like) to AWS S3/Google Cloud Storage for offsite backup. This is your regular pictures, documents, etc. Infrequently accessed.
* 3 X 3TB disks in RAIDZ1 - giving me 6 TB usable space which is plenty (I currently use less than 2TB).
* I'd like a silent and relatively low powered server. Our usage is very light. The most we'd ever get to is watching two HD video streams (no transcoding) at the same time - and that would be a rare occurrence.

My intended build (case yet to be decided upon) PCPartPicker part list:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLL-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($170.60 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($85.55 @ Amazon)
Storage: 3 X Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and insights with me!

ChriZ

Patron
Raidz1 is not really recommended with large disks.
Your case choice implies that you may add more disks in the future, so getting a bigger PSU is a more futureproof solution.
Other than that your choices seem fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.