XFS overtakes ZFS? Need advice on speeding ZFS up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMDS

Cadet
I'm fairly new to FreeNAS. Rolled my own storage with XFS on Software Linux mdadm RAID6 4TB clocking in at 300MB/s read and around 300MB/s. Had this networked over a 1Gig/s netw with 120MB/s sustained speeds over an intel card. But I gave ZFS a try on that same storage and the speeds just dropped to abismal numbers like 25-30MB/s. not only that but ZFS distro I used perhaps was broken but needed to find out from folks how to ramp up the ZFS numbers on Linux. Thoughts?

My blog about my own NAS is here, step by step.

Thanks ahead of time for the insight.

Cheers,
TK

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS is NOT a linux distro. As such, nothing we could "recommend" will help you. You should ask a linux forum that specializes in ZFS.

TomMDS

Cadet
Allright. I jumped the gun. FreeBSD with a port of Sun's ZFS ...

Cheers,
TK

Enlightend

Dabbler
ZFS on Linux is indeed at a rather abysmal speed still, although that since the features decision for the opensource space has been made, development has sped up quite considerably.

However, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, has nothing what ever to do with Linux or ZFS on Linux.

If you are using FreeNAS proper, the speeds you get are questionable and you need to open a thread about how to diagnose what your problem might be.

If you aren't using FreeNAS, but a Linux distro with ZFS on Linux, I'd suggest you switch to Freenas or check out an Open Source Solaris variant with pure ZFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You realize you just replied to a thread from July? hehe

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
This is not yet a "Thread necromancy" ... He just tried to defibrillate :D

Sent from my Motorola Photon Q via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.