"xe-daemon" in TrueNAS core domU should be adapted to run under a vanilla Xen dom0 (ie. not XAPI-based)

zithro

Cadet
Hello,

well, installed is not really the problem. After all, till they don't run it's not really a probem.
The real problem is that the "xe-daemon" runs, and creates errors in dom0's xenstore (each minute, as can be read in the script "/usr/local/sbin/xe-daemon") :
[20230411T23:48:27.917Z] D5 write control/feature-balloon 1
[20230411T23:48:27.917Z] D5 error EACCES
[20230411T23:48:27.923Z] D5 write data/updated Wed Apr 12 01:48:27 CEST 2023

As the xe-daemon is set to run each minute, it is filling the dom0 xenstore-access.log log file.

I've posted on the xen-devel mailing list about it, but I don't think it's useful to post the full bug report here (tell me if I'm wrong).
The bug report and the answers can be read at : https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2023-04/msg00509.html

But, notwithstanding the Xen related problem, is there a reason to have the "xe-daemon" running in TrueNAS Core ?
Note I'm not using an XAPI-based hypervisor (like XenServer, XCP-ng), only "raw Xen".
So, two questions :
- how would I uninstall or prevent the xe-damon from running ?
- should I file a bug report on the TrueNAS bug tracker ?

Thanks !

danb35

Hall of Famer
is there a reason to have the "xe-daemon" running in TrueNAS Core ?
The reason it's there is surely the same as the reason for including the VMware stuff--TrueNAS (CORE and SCALE) are often run as virtual machines, so including the guest agents benefits those cases. But if it's behaving poorly, I'd say it'd warrant a bug report.

zithro

Cadet
I agree that guest agents should be present, but the installer should detect which hypervisor it is running on.
In my case, it thinks it's running under a XenServer variant (XCP-ng, Citrix XenServer), which is wrong as I'm running vanilla Xen, and as such I don't have some entries in xenstore. So it's behaving poorly, in a way.

My bug report in xen-devel talks about a resolution in xenstore directly, but I think it's only half of the solution. Also the bug report is stalled, no one answers anymore.

I will file against TrueNAS then, thanks.

PS: if anyone is having this problem, the quick fix is to kill the xe-daemon via command line, there's no loss of functionnality, tested on two TrueNAS domUs.
PS2: I changed the topic title to better reflect the problem

Last edited:

zithro

Cadet
Bug report: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-121872

About my first PostScriptum in previous post : only kill the "xe-daemon" -after- boot, do not prevent it from starting, as for now I'm not really sure about all the implications of it not running at all : the daemon correctly populates some other dom0 xenstore nodes.

As everything will be handled in the bug report from now on, should I mark this topic with a [CLOSED] or [FILED_AS_BUG] thingy ?