X11SSM-f Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitt1717

Explorer
Just got my parts in to prepare for FN10 and this this thing is nice. Currently converted my FN9 hardware over to the new parts

parts I went with:
X11SSM-f
Xeon E3-1230 v5
2 X 16GB 2133MHz ECC Unbuffered 2R M391A2K43BB1-CPB Samsung Memory SuperMicro MEM-DR416L-SL01-EU21
32gb Sandisk thumbdrive (not used yet)

From Existing FN9 box
4 x 3tb WD Reds
3 x 1tb WD (jails/plugins)

couple of questions.
* how does everyone use ipmi? I'm a first timer with this and love to learn some tips and tricks from the community.
* there are a ton of options int the bios. anything I should watch out for? enable?
* when I do move over to FN10, I want to do a fresh install. how does the new install know my volume setups? I may blow out my 3x1tb volume to clean out all the jail/plugin stuff but more worried about my 4x3tb volume
* I have the CSE-825 case and have 1 issue with the case headers. I believe the power led has 3 holes but the headers on the MB are only 2 wide. is there a way to make that work.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
couple of questions.
* how does everyone use ipmi?
1) Plug a second ethernet cable into the dedicated ipmi port (see pic below)
SSM-ipmi.jpg
Your router will automatically give this new interface an IP address via DHCP.
Using a browser, log in to that IP address following your Motherboard's documentation
for the default user name and password.
Supermicro's website will have a link to a PDF doc with information on how to use
this cool and very useful feature.
https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/IPMI.cfm
edit: link added

Last edited:
I can add that IPMI is hokey from Chrome, use Firefox if possible.

GBillR

Contributor
Just got my parts in to prepare for FN10 and this this thing is nice. Currently converted my FN9 hardware over to the new parts

* I have the CSE-825 case and have 1 issue with the case headers. I believe the power led has 3 holes but the headers on the MB are only 2 wide. is there a way to make that work.

Check page 49 of the manual. There is an additional power connector that might work for a 3-pin plug. Alternatively, you may have to perform some minor surgery on your led cable to make it work ;)

As for ipmi... I never used it until I bought this board. The best things I have found thus far:
1 - I can power the server on remotely.
2 - No need for a monitor and keyboard... even to get into the bios to change settings.
3 - I am able to load any iso into a virtual CD and boot from it.

Essentially, I am able to work with the bare metal from a web browser. I don't need to install a CD drive or even have to try to figure out which usb port to plug the boot flash drive into... I'll never build another server without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.