Would it be possible to do also a i386 nightly build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
Jakob,

The nightly build is only the source code for both i386 & AMD64, so if you follow the instructions for downloading/building posted in another thread you can MAKE whichever version you want.

Edit: Sorry my mistake Jakob, the nightly build has been already compiled, but you could download/build from the source like I mentioned above, OR, if your Intel processor is 64bit you could still use the nightly build.

Here's the thread for compiling FreeNAS:

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?51-How-to-compile-FreeNAS-8

Fornax

Dabbler
Earlier today I noticed the compiled i386 showed up in R6875 (05JUL2011) and thinking about my Pentium-3S (A 32-bit CPU) and a few HD's I have lying around I thought this would be fun to play with.
I downloaded the -i386.ISO, burned it onto a CDR, booted from that and succesfully put it on a (4GB) USB-stick (As far as I can tell it wrote around 2GB to it). Then I had some trouble getting my motherboard (not the P3 but an IP35-E) to boot from the USB-stick but that also went well in the end.

FreeNAS started to boot but dropped me to a prompt with an errormessage and then waited for manual input:

-----
Verifying DMI Pool Data ...... (This is the BIOS booting)
\|/-\|/- (Turning, booting Freenas)
error 1 lba 181344
No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
error 1 lba 181344
No /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
-----

I'll try to find a way to examine the structure on the USB-stick and find a solution, or after reporting this here a future nightly build might be able to boot out of the box, or somebody else recognizes what the problem here is and can give me a hint. I'll pick any : )

And like JStrebel wrote, thanks for including the i386 this fast.

ProtoSD

MVP
There's already a ticket opened for this problem #490 if you want to add to it. Actually your error is a little different, but I think it may be related.

If you do figure out anything please post back. There are at least a couple other threads where people have had similiar problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.