Using i386

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr6zed

Dabbler
ok. May be a noob question, but with a non noob twist.
Just installed my intel s5520sc and spent the day trying to install FreeNAS 11.0u4 in every configuration I can think of (ie bios/uefi, ahci/enhanced and ide, raid card to run my pata that I was previously running the os/ 2x other sata drives and even took the boards bios back to ver.40 and back up to the latest (because apparently there is a major boot block fix or something and I don't know whether it was done by the previous owner.). I do understand that uefi boot may not be compatible with this board even though the bios is that. I have read other posts that say if uefi doesn't work, use bios in install. The next thing I tried was another CD with 9.10 x64 I had previously. It boots only in bios mode install and at the end of the install, it said,'using i386'. I did some light research on i386 vs x64 and other than the obvious we all know, apparently, Linux isn't affected by 32bit boundaries in regard to ram, etc ( I was unaware of this fact. The system is up and running and I am Updating to 11.1 before I import my stuff, because that is the level I was at when I created the pools and I don't want to take any risks.
The system is running (haven't reset yet and updating ATM, so I will test stability before imports).
What is the deficit of i386 compared to x64 and uefi compared to bios. What do I need x64 kernel for, if my ram is registering all of it?? If the system is stable, do I need to waste time trying to push it?
I only have storage pools and intend to play around with VMware stuff. Nothing newer than windows 7, etc. I am going to multi-boot some other stuff, but that is a side issue.
Oh, when I say ,'won't boot', I mean as soon as bioses have finished loading (bios and sas card). There is a flashing cursor and nothing else. I am yet to test other OSes. This is the reason I think incompatibility with uefi install. And before anyone says it, yes, I did disconnect everything but the target install drive including the sas controller card.
To recap questions:
I386 vs x64? What will I miss out on, if anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FreeNAS has been 64 bit only since the 9.3 release.

cr6zed

Dabbler
I thought so, I was just wondering about the 'using i386'. I guess I just need to ignore that line and pass it off as an 'install line'. Of course zfs requires 64bit.

styno

Patron
I remember having the same issues with my old Intel-5000 based board. You can try to write the installer image with Rufus and force it to create a bios-only bootable device.
Once the installation was done it would not boot from the boot media untill this fix was applied: FreeNAS 9.3 freezes Dell PC in BIOS stage
The only issue with the old Intel 5000 board now is that a shutdown results in a reboot, but I can live with that for a test/backup station.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please only use Rufus in DD mode. Letting it rewrite the media generally is not expected to work.

Modern FreeNAS installation media can boot in BIOS or UEFI mode. The "using i386" message is not familiar to me. I suspect it comes from Grub.

styno

Patron
Modern FreeNAS installation media can boot in BIOS or UEFI mode.
Agreed, but in my case (and I assume in OP's case as well) bios bugs or incomplete/early UEFI implementations leave you no other choice if you don't want to buy a new system.
It's a one-off anyways: once the installation is done and the system is up-and-running, upgrades are working flawlessly from the gui.

Status
Not open for further replies.