Workaround: change boot order ASUS e35 M1-M Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheater

Explorer
Workaround: change boot order ASUS e35 M1-M Pro

Hi all,

Problem: unable to change boot order in BIOS of ASUS e35 M1-M Pro

Background: BIOS does not support this feature (yet). Searching on this yields no solution, just more people with the same issue.

Solution:
1. Plug in USB with FN
2. Unplug all HDs in the case, so only the USB is the bootable media
3. Turn case on, push 'del' to get into BIOS
4. Select 'Advanced'
5. Select 'Boot'
6. Select 'Boot option priority' to the USB
7. Select 'EXIT' then in the dialogue box, select 'Load Optimized Defaults'
8. Shut down
9. Replug HDs
10. Reboot

FE

tingo

Contributor
Are you sure that the BIOS of that board doesn't support the "boot order" feature? On a similar board (E35M1-I) this feature is (advanced mode, boot settings or somesuch) there, but it is way down on that screen, you actually have to scroll down to find it.

Durkatlon

Patron
Yeah, what a complete pain in the *** this is on the Asus mobos (as much as I love them, and they sure are pretty). The options are there on the I-Deluxe and I-Standard for sure, but they don't work properly. Eventually after you've futzed with it for a while it simply won't boot at all. I actually bought another motherboard at one point because I thought I destroyed the first one somehow.

I was able to get it working using the same trick you're describing: unplug everything. Get it working and booting properly with JUST the USB stick plugged in. Then finally plug in everything else. Quite strange...

jfr2006

Contributor
The BIOS support choosing the boot device. It's a little hidden, so it's not very easy to set up and they do work properly :)

By the way, if you have pro version, do you have any SATA RAID card you can test in the PCI-e 16x slot to see if it works ok?

Regards.

fisheater

Explorer
The BIOS support choosing the boot device. It's a little hidden, so it's not very easy to set up and they do work properly :)

By the way, if you have pro version, do you have any SATA RAID card you can test in the PCI-e 16x slot to see if it works ok?

At the moment, the firmware/BIOS looks like it would work to select a boot order, but does not. I suspect it will be patched soon in the next firmware iteration.
(and no RAID cards to test but will update if I get one)

FE

jfr2006

Contributor
That's very strange, because I've been doing some testing yesterday and i can select the boot device without any problems. Are you sure you are going to the advanced mode in the bios, then the Boot page and then the BBS priorities at the top of this page?

Anyway, yesterday i was able to boot the machine with the IBM BR10i baord on the PCI-e 16x slot. I did not test however any discs, but will try that tonight to see if they are detected, since the boot message from the IBM card does not appear on the monitor!

Regards.

Durkatlon

Patron
That's very strange, because I've been doing some testing yesterday and i can select the boot device without any problems. Are you sure you are going to the advanced mode in the bios, then the Boot page and then the BBS priorities at the top of this page?
Perhaps you have a different BIOS version.

I can confirm that I too tried everything with those boot options when I got my boards, and they simply didn't work as they should, and instead allowed me to get it into a state where it wouldn't boot at all.

In addition to being broken the whole boot ordering is beyond convoluted in these BIOSes.

noplease

Cadet
boot options depend on available media

Did anyone of you having this 'problem' consider to connect/insert the intended boot device before entering the (advanced) CMOS settings in order to define the boot order?
You say 'no'? Then just do it and it might help you out immediately.
If the answer is 'yes' and it didn't work either you might be a victim of too much 'Legacy BIOS Experience' ;) - then please read on...

The Asus E35 and E45 motherboards are using EFI respectively UEFI BIOS. Means ... they are way ahead and somehow a bit smarter and more intuitive to use than what most of us have been using for years now. It's not only mouse support in CMOS settings that is new - several other things are too.
First time experiencing myself what today's (U)EFI BIOS can do automatically and how they prevent most users from misconfiguration I must admit to have felt a bit like using control... investigating the logics behind the (U)EFI BIOS was (out of it's sight on the particular system) always right. All I needed was confidence and leaving legacy expectations (and legacy behaviour of myself) behind.

So when it comes to defining the boot order of a particular system these boards only show the actually available and bootable devices. They will not show any 'maybe entries' in a dumb standard list like legacy BIOSs. Defining boot devices in advance (e.g. before they are present) is not intended. Devices not already chosen as boot option that aren't present anymore won't be available until reconnected at boot.

Just think of (depending on the model) 2-4x USB3.0, 10-12x USB2.0, 1-2x eSATA, 4-6x onchip SATA, maybe 2-4x secondary SATA onboard and how much bootable devices could be added to all this via add on cards in 1,2, 4 or 7 slots and last but not least the option of a network/PXE boot on top.
I wouldn't want to navigate through them all - just the present ones should be enough... so keeping things simple is imo best choice for today's highly integrated multifunctional motherboards.

So the simple solution to your problem is:
If you want it to appear among the bootable media, insert the boot CD, USB stick, eSATA HDD, ... of your choice first and then reboot and enter CMOS settings to change boot priority and boot order. Remember: you won't see more to choose from than your board does!

Hint for the ASUS E35-/E45-Users:
On the 'Boot'-tab you first find 'Boot option #1 ... #4' and scrolling down you find
- Hard Drive BBS Priorities
- Network Device BBS Priorities
- CD/DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities
- <anything else> BBS Priorities
depending on the used hardware.
The latter are subgroups to define and refine 'the order of the legacy devices in this group' you can call in when setting 'Boot option #n' above.
Boot order itself goes by defining 'Boot option #n'.

If after all the boot media of your choice still refuses to appear on the 'Boot' tab then load the 'Default Values' or 'Optimized Values' for your board once and try again.
True 'Legacy BIOS victims' sometimes tend to configure too much ending up with a confused motherboard instead a confused user. ;)

I just had an Asus E35 M1-M Pro here to try with (BIOS ver 0506 x64 - Jan 26 2011).
So I took a case and a fanless 300W-PSU and
- 4 new unused Samsung SATA harddisks connected to the chipset-/onboard controller
- 1 Sil3114 4x SATA PCI controller - no disks connected
- 1 Intel Pro 1000 GT PCI - additional Gigabit NIC, bootable

As expected
On first boot the (U)EFI BIOS allowed to choose booting from any of the four SATA drives or to perform a network boot via the Intel NIC. Nothing else.
There are two subgroups: 'Hard Drive BBS Priorities' containing the four HDDs and 'Network Device BBS Priorities' containing the Intel NIC.

After feeding with computer sweets (USB mini adapter with 4GB C10 Kingston microSDHC) and booting again I got two more entries: 'Generic USB SD Reader' and 'UEFI: Generic USB SD Reader' - both being available to boot from. 'UEFI:...' may be chosen directly ... but that's not our intention.
- > The 'Generic USB SD Reader' is listed in the 'Hard Drive BBS Priorities' subgroup and therefore you will have to put it #1 there before you can see it when setting the boot option.

Now adding a LG GH22NS40 DVD-RW DL to onboard SATA5 and rebooting I get another new entry to boot from as well as a new group to define priorities for CD/DVD drives if necessary. As this is the only optical drive there is nothing else to do - it is immediately available as boot option.

Please note that the four SATA ports of the Sil3114 add on card didn't come up during all this. I'll not be able to chose a boot device connected to this card until it is. During this little testing I always had been fully able to change boot device and order at my descretion among those devices that were listed.

Finally I consider this behaviour easing setup and being a feature rather than a bug or annoyance.

Hope this helps the next one coming across this thread searching for an answer.

noplease

pete_c

Cadet
Doesn't work for me with most current Asus BIOS and IBM M1015 in IT mode.

Previous BIOS wouldn't recognize IBM M1015 though; newest does recognize it.

It only works with no drives in place when it booting off primary SATA controller. If connect a drive to the IBM 1015 and attempt to boot from a primary Asus connected drive; hangs.

noplease

Cadet
@pete_c:
Your basic problem obviously isn't about boot order - it's much more about getting this piece of hardware to work on a board at all. This controller is well known to not work with several motherboards. And some boards expect the drives attached to the M1015 being configured in a certain way (for example as pure JBOD) or need other settings being done for the controller in order to be seen by the BIOS. See http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=23751 and http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=ibm m1015 freenas for more. Different modes might demand for different solutions.
Even when surviving the POST and trying to boot a system you aren't safe at all as OS support might not exist out of the box and need your attention.

Additionally if your's is in IT mode (now feeling like a 9210 or so) it's a modified piece of hardware and thus no model Asus will take into account when developing their next BIOS versions. I don't believe they will follow all ongoing efforts of the community to tweak controller hardware.... so you'll be partly on your own to find the right settings, kernel and driver to match the mods and so on.
See here for more: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?6558-Can-I-Use-IBM-M1015-Card-and-Motherboard-s-SATA especially Will's/survive's link in #3.

I'd suppose you to open a new thread for this.
First it will be more specific and bring related answers having a self explanatory title and second this will help to stay closer on the original topic in this thread here.

Javafanboy

Cadet
I can only confirm that the Asus E35M1-I with the latest released BIOS (1404? was from 2012 I belive) have problems with booting from USB stick (I have tried both Kingston and SANDisk unless you use the procedure proposed, i.e. unplug the disks, set USB as boot device, reboot (now work), plug disks back in and after this boot still works (at least as you dont go into the bios again - I have not tried this myself - maybe it still work?).

I found how to set the USB as first boot device and all but it simply did not work - i.e. the board tried but failed to boot from the USB (and this no matter if I used AUTO mode or tried to force it to treat the USB as a HD etc) without the decribed procedure no matter what I tried.

Thanks for the sugested solution - I wa almost about to give up on ever running FreeNAS on this board....

pete_c

Cadet
The box I originally built and have yet to use it boots fine any USB stick I have tried (mostly linux flavor but also wintel boot sticks).

I am still playing with it. It has 4 of 8 drives connected to the IBM M1015, one additional sata drive inside of the case that I use to boot from. That said I keep changing what I am doing with it for whatever reason as I have 4 other NAS boxes on line.

I wil test boot freenas in the next couple of days...the original goal for me was how small of an 8 drive hot swap NAS box could I build. Left it at that point a while ago and ventured over to other DIY projects....I do have it closed up now. The original power supply did fail after some 6 months or so. Replaced it and vendor gave me a spare one.

Attachments

• NAS-3.jpg
    NAS-3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Pic-1.jpg
    Pic-1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 238

pete_c

Cadet
Today wrote a 64bit FreeNas boot USB stick. Tested it fine with a warm boot and cold boot on the Asus E35M1-I using the USB as the first boot device.

System Information

Hostname ICS-Freenas.ICS
Build FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35)
Platform AMD E-350 Processor
Memory 7769MB
System Time Wed Sep 18 19:54:13 PDT 2013
Uptime 7:54PM up 1:55, 0 users
Load Average 0.11, 0.09, 0.08
Connected through 192.168.244.250

pete_c

Cadet
You guys have convinced me to finish this box and start using it for a NAS. That said I do want to populate a little area next to the M1015 with SSD SATA drives. I might be able to fit some more drives in there such that I am using all of the motherboard SATA ports plus the 8 ports on the Asus motherboard making this the ultimate small footprint NAS box running Freenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.