Wont boot after update from 11.2 to 11.2-U1

jdejesus

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

After I upgrade to 11.2-U1 from 11.2 machine will go on this infinite loop and won't boot. I tried booting to a different environment from the FreeNas start up menu and it simply wont respond to any command or options. Unit was running smoothly for about 6 months. Any help appreciated!!! Thanks!

D

dlavigne

It's possible the boot device died. Does a fresh install of 11.2-RELEASE-U1 resolve the issue?

jdejesus

Cadet
I'm booting off an SSD, I check and they're all healthy. I can get to the FreeNas star-up menu where you can select, console, environments etc... there is where I try to select any option and it wont let me, then when trying to boot normally without selecting any options it loads the FreeNas start-up and there is where i see the message booting, stops and then reboots the machine and comes on this loop. I'm going to try the fresh install, im a bit new so is that gonna erase all my data?

james88

Dabbler
Just to add my experiences to this thread - I upgraded to 11.2-RELEASE-U1 today and I lost the ability to boot at well. USB drive completely dead, to the extent that I couldn't even mount it using zpool import on another system to retrieve the config db. Luckily I have a backup...

Looking at the boot failure, the upgrade had somehow configured one of my mechanical drives to be the boot device, which is just incorrect. This isn't the only thread on this topic so I haven't tried 11.2-U1 again - I tried an upgrade install of both 11.2 and 11.2-U1 onto the errant flash drive but the config had been so badly messed up by the 11.2-U1 upgrade that it wasn't recoverable.

A completely blank flash drive, with 11.2 installed and the config restored is working. I would advise anyone against upgrading to 11.2-U1 right now.

jdejesus

Cadet
Just to add my experiences to this thread - I upgraded to 11.2-RELEASE-U1 today and I lost the ability to boot at well. USB drive completely dead, to the extent that I couldn't even mount it using zpool import on another system to retrieve the config db. Luckily I have a backup...

Looking at the boot failure, the upgrade had somehow configured one of my mechanical drives to be the boot device, which is just incorrect. This isn't the only thread on this topic so I haven't tried 11.2-U1 again - I tried an upgrade install of both 11.2 and 11.2-U1 onto the errant flash drive but the config had been so badly messed up by the 11.2-U1 upgrade that it wasn't recoverable.

A completely blank flash drive, with 11.2 installed and the config restored is working. I would advise anyone against upgrading to 11.2-U1 right now.
Thanks for the insight, I actually wasn't going to update initially but when I read the release notes it fixed a vulnerability in AFP which I have enabled for my Apple shares. Going to do a clean install this weekend and go from there, will update here if any luck. Thank you for sharing!

james88

Dabbler
Good spot - I have AFP shares also so perhaps I'll dig further. I do have another flash drive coming today in case the original was damaged - trying to cover all bases here. I may well attempt a straight install of 11.2-U1 like yourself and see if that works. I'm also zeroing the original flash drive as the FreeNAS installer didn't report any errors, but also seemed unable to produce a working bootable pendrive on that device which was peculiar. Something has happened but I'm not clear at what level the error lies. Like yourself, if I make any progress I'll share it here.