WOL doesn't work after hardware/software upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
Evening!

I upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM a few weeks ago and at the same time I upgraded FreeNAS from 9.3-stable to 9.10.1-stable. Since I did this upgrade the Wake On Lan function is not working anymore, despite the fact that I have enabled it in the BIOS. Since I have upgraded both hardware and software I am not sure where the error lies, or if for some reason WOL is not supported by the new NIC (which it is from my understanding).

I have googled a lot and tried to find a solution but it's not easy to find an article with my exact build. I tried to enable wol_magic on em0 but that didn't do any difference.

Does anyone have any idea?

Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming, Socket-1151
NIC (em0): Intel I219-V (built-in on the motherboard)
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 Skylake Processor (Socket-LGA1151, Dual Core 3.7GHz, 3MB, 51W, 14nm, HD530)
RAM: 2 x DDR4-DIMM-2133 Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 PC17000/2133MHz CL14 8GB
HDD: 3 x 2TB Seagate
USB: Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.0 16GB

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
WOL is a hardware thing. FreeNAS shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
WOL is a hardware thing. FreeNAS shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Yes in a way but you may have to enable some NIC flag/feature through the OS to get it to work. I also read users where WOL stopped working for them after they upgraded from one FreeNAS version to another and when reverting back it started to work again. There of my question.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
But WOL is at the BIOS hardware level. Your OS isn't booted at BIOS post. Until the system is powered on and booted to FreeNAS it has nothing to do with the OS

Sightblinder

Dabbler
But WOL is at the BIOS hardware level. Your OS isn't booted at BIOS post. Until the system is powered on and booted to FreeNAS it has nothing to do with the OS

That is true but since I can't get it work and that I read people having problems with it after upgrading FreeNAS version I am grasping after any solution I can find.

pasiz

Explorer
is your acpi set up correctly. Why you want to wake your nas? Just curious

Sightblinder

Dabbler
is your acpi set up correctly. Why you want to wake your nas? Just curious

As far as I can tell everything is set up as it should but will have to look again. To your second question. I only use the NAS for myself and I don' like leaving it on when I go away for days, fire hazard etc. But sometimes I want to reach it externally even when I am aw

wblock

Documentation Engineer
This might be a FreeBSD driver issue. As I understand it, the driver has to leave the card in a state where WoL can wake it up. Supermicro support told me that WoL is enabled by default on the X10SSL-F board I wanted to use it with. Despite that, FreeBSD does not recognize that the interface is capable of it. There are no visible options for it in the UEFI setup or IPMI.

This FreeBSD bug report was started for other cards, but it was suggested that I add my report to it: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=208343.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
This might be a FreeBSD driver issue. As I understand it, the driver has to leave the card in a state where WoL can wake it up. Supermicro support told me that WoL is enabled by default on the X10SSL-F board I wanted to use it with. Despite that, FreeBSD does not recognize that the interface is capable of it. There are no visible options for it in the UEFI setup or IPMI.

This FreeBSD bug report was started for other cards, but it was suggested that I add my report to it: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=208343.

This is what I was considering a possible problem when I posted this post after reading some articles, that when shutting down FreeNAS it turns off the NIC "completely" instead of leaving it in listening mode. That is the only reason I can see why some have problems with WOL after upgrading their FreeNAS OS when it worked fine with an older version. That something has been removed and/or changed with the way FreeNAS (FreeBSD) shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.