Wizard does not set Console Messages - Request Others Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am having a very perplexing problem that only appears to occur on my hardware NAS Test Rig but works fine on my VM test platform. I have opened up a bug report but it doesn't look like it can be reproduced by iX Systems at this time yet it's 100% reproducible on my hardware. My hardware is listed in my signature under Test Rig running FreeNAS-BETA-9f88fca-x64 but it has occurred with the past several versions as well.

What I am asking is for folks to test this out and report your findings. If you have the same issue, to update the bug report. If this is just isolated to my hardware but I don't know why it would be.

To reproduce:
1) After loading up FreeNAS simply reset to factory defaults (this is a must).
2) Run through the wizard upon reboot and ensure you check the Console message box, and Confirm to commit the wizard settings.
3) After the wizard is complete, the Console footer "should" be present but it is not present in my situation.

EDIT: You should probably save your configuration file before doing this if you want to restore your configuration when done with the test.

Last edited:
J

jkh

And when you go to Settings->Advanced after the Wizard has run, is the Enable Console Menu option checked?

joeschmuck

Old Man
And when you go to Settings->Advanced after the Wizard has run, is the Enable Console Menu option checked?
Not on my Test Rig.

I am testing this each time a new update comes out but so far it is 100% reproducible on my hardware (keep in mind it is an older Intel system however I don't see why the system type would make any difference for this type of problem) and I have no explanation why. When I do this on a VM it all works as it should and I'm using the same web browser (FireFox) and I tried Internet Explorer 11 which has the exact same results.

I was hoping others would test this and report back in this thread but so far nothing. Even if the report back was they couldn't reproduce it would be something. And again, this ONLY happens during the initial Wizard setup after loading FreeNAS or after a factory restore and then running the wizard. If I go and manually make the change and save it, the wizard will work properly after that.

This is not a terrible problem, just the fact that it acts in this way is the concern but it isn't a show stopper. If we cannot isolate this before the Release issue, it if affects others, we will hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.