Wireguard or Zerotier behind Double NAT -> Plex

thinkgreenn

Cadet
Hello All,

Firstly i would like to apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section.
I have used the search but was unable to find the an answer to this.

My current network setup is as follow.
ISP -> Building -> My home -> internal network. This means I'm behind a double NAT. I have no access to the building network infrastructure.
Everyone is sitting in the same Vlan and in the same subnet. That is why i have my own internal network.
For a very long time i have tried to set up a connection between my father and my home network to give him access to plex.

I'm a first time user to FreeNAS and just days before installing FreeNAS i discovered Zerotier, and because of Zerotier my father now has access to my plex library.
I was very happy to find that FreeNAS supports Zerotier right out of the box, but sad to find out it does not support it anymore since 11.2 but instead Wireguard.

My main question I'm trying i have here, will i be able to set up a Wireguard connection and give my father access to my plex running on FreeNAS behind a double NAT?

Regards

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Yes, you will be able to do that, but will need more attention than with ZeroTier. Best to have his side as the server and yours as the peer.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Would there be any possible way i can still get zerotier working instead?
Don't upgrade?

Or, go through the process of getting it to work on your own and support/fix it through subsequent upgrades... given that you're here asking, probably not an option for you.

Probably the most realistic option... run zerotier on a pi or VM/spare PC and configure it to route traffic for the whole subnet.

thinkgreenn

Cadet
Don't upgrade?

Or, go through the process of getting it to work on your own and support/fix it through subsequent upgrades... given that you're here asking, probably not an option for you.

Probably the most realistic option... run zerotier on a pi or VM/spare PC and configure it to route traffic for the whole subnet.
Thank you, not upgrading does not seem like a good way to get something working. Since i'm very new to FreeNas or the entire file system i figured there could be another way to get it working maybe via a jail or a vm running in Freenas. Something i could learn about it.

But ill spin up a vm in hyperv and try it like how you suggested

svtkobra7

Patron
ISP -> Building -> My home -> internal network.
Precisely the same situation for myself ... locked into using the same ISP as the rest of the building (part of HOA fee pays for internet). No carrier grade NAT with the prior provider and a true 100 Mbps symmetrical connection. These @$$clowns used "creative" contract verbiage to give the appearance of a like kind product offer, but they shape upload speed to 70 Mbps. :(

3.png

Admittedly I'm not an IT professional, but AFAIK, there is symmetrical or asymmetrical. Period. Near symmetric = meaningless as an IT term.

Anyway, #rantover ... I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but Plex is actually the only remotely accessible service I expose and I solved the same dilemma rather simply as follows:
[Interwebs] {Plex #1 @ Port A}/{Plex #2 @ Port B} <=> [[OVPN Server] + [Port Forward from VPN Provider]] <=> ["near symmetric pipe"] <=> [[OVPN Client (pfSense)] + [Port Forward]] <=> {Plex #1 @ IP #1:32400}/{Plex #2 @ IP#2:32400}

The requirement there is VPN service and one that will open ports for you. Luckily I already had the former and they readily do the latter. The only reason I have it configured with two instances was POC only, I had wanted to deploy NextCloud ...

My main question I'm trying i have here, will i be able to set up a Wireguard connection and give my father access to my plex running on FreeNAS behind a double NAT?
Subscribed ... I had looked at ZeroTier previously, but I'm not a networking guru and abandoned the concept.