Windows VM with native storage CIFS shared to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
OK, I know I titled this entirely wrong, but here's what I'm trying to do:

Citrix Sharefile has a windows client that will sync a windows native file system to their cloud. The client will NOT sync network shares, so I can't use it to sync the shared files on a freenas box to the citrix cloud.

I'm hoping that I can set up a Windows VM on the freenas box using the NAS share (from freenas) as native storage on the VM so that what appears as \\freenas\SharedFiles to the rest of the network appears as D:\ to the Windows VM.

1) Can this be done, and if so, how?

2) are there any dangers in doing this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK, I know I titled this entirely wrong, but here's what I'm trying to do:

Citrix Sharefile has a windows client that will sync a windows native file system to their cloud. The client will NOT sync network shares, so I can't use it to sync the shared files on a freenas box to the citrix cloud.

I'm hoping that I can set up a Windows VM on the freenas box using the NAS share (from freenas) as native storage on the VM so that what appears as \\freenas\SharedFiles to the rest of the network appears as D:\ to the Windows VM.

1) Can this be done, and if so, how?

2) are there any dangers in doing this?

I don't believe that will work. Windows will still recognize the storage mounted through virtualbox as a remote filesystem.

You might be able to use mklink on the windows system to trick the Citrix client into thinking the samba share is a part of the local FS. I'm not sure how this will affect your samba performance or your windows install ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.