Windows system image issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
So I am trying to backup two windows 8.1 based PC on the same array on my freenas box. The first PCs backup runs just fine. However when I try and backup the second PC I get an error that references the fact that I already have a backup on the array and the backup fails due to this. Does anyone know of a way around this issue?

gpsguy

Use a 3rd party backup program instead of Windows built in program.

I ran into a similar issue with Server 2012R2 and gave up trying to use wbadmin.exe

Sent from my phone

mjws00

Guru
Did you try this on a separate dataset and share? You would think it should be possible to create a suitable boundary. Also list the Exact error so we could pull additional info via Google or MS.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
Right now I am trying to run the backup on the same dataset and the same share. Should I use different shares and datasets? Also do you have a recommendations for outside backup software. And the error code I get is 0x80780047.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Right now I am trying to run the backup on the same dataset and the same share. Should I use different shares and datasets? Also do you have a recommendations for outside backup software. And the error code I get is 0x80780047.
Yes, use a different dataset. You should be able to use the same share. Be sure to put quotas on those datasets. You don't want them to accidentally take up 100% of your pool.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
Yes, use a different dataset. You should be able to use the same share. Be sure to put quotas on those datasets. You don't want them to accidentally take up 100% of your pool.
How do you put quotes on a data set? And what do the quotes do?

tbrezniak

Dabbler
Thanks for all of the help from everyone, I'm really new to freenas as you can probably guess so any help is really appreciated!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for all of the help from everyone, I'm really new to freenas as you can probably guess so any help is really appreciated!
To clarify: you can probably solve the problem you are having as follows:
  1. Your pool is located at /mnt/[pool]
  2. You created and shared a dataset at /mnt/[pool]/backups
  3. You should now create two (or more) new datasets ([pool]/backups/computer1, [pool]/backups/computer2)
  4. Make sure all datasets have "windows" permission type and have quotas assigned to them.
The quotas are important because if you fill your pool to 100% you will not be able to delete files.

tbrezniak

Dabbler
I tried using different datasets and still got the same error, anymore suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.