Windows Share Asking for Network Credentials

taylordude4493

Dabbler
I have 2 Truenas servers running on a windows network for file sharing. It worked great up to about a year ago when my primary file share would prompt network credentials pop up asking you to authenticate but no matter what you entered it would just reprompt the login screen. So I would restart the NAS from the GUI and it would start working for about 6 days and it would happen again and you would need to restart again. My backup Truenas has never had this issue. Fast forward to today and even restarts does not work, it constantly prompts the login credentials window. I have verified correct DNS entries but now I am stuck.

It is a windows domain with 2 DCs, the TRUENAS is our file system.

Should I leave and rejoin the domain and if so what is the quickest way to do that or could it be something else?

taylordude4493

Dabbler
I have 2 Truenas servers running on a windows network for file sharing. It worked great up to about a year ago when my primary file share would prompt network credentials pop up asking you to authenticate but no matter what you entered it would just reprompt the login screen. So I would restart the NAS from the GUI and it would start working for about 6 days and it would happen again and you would need to restart again. My backup Truenas has never had this issue. Fast forward to today and even restarts does not work, it constantly prompts the login credentials window. I have verified correct DNS entries but now I am stuck.

It is a windows domain with 2 DCs, the TRUENAS is our file system.

Should I leave and rejoin the domain and if so what is the quickest way to do that or could it be something else?
I just looked at the directory services monitor and it says Active Directory Faulted. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
It means you are no longer connected to AD.
Things to check.
  1. Is the time on the NAS correct. Maybe set up NTP
  2. Is the time on the AD servers correct - do the times on TN and AD match
  3. Is DNS correct - can TN resolve "domain.com"
    1. Can DNS resolve "ADServer.domain.com"
  4. Remove TN from the domain
  5. Readd TN to the domain - does itwork?
I assume that your active directory is otherwise working

abdulwahab

Cadet
The recurring network credentials prompt issue when accessing a Truenas server in a Windows network might be resolved by rejoining the domain. The quickest way to do this is to disjoin the server from the domain, then rejoin it. However, before attempting this, ensure that your DNS settings are correct and consider checking for any other underlying issues that could be causing the problem.