Windows server 2016 & 2019 not installing.

eddyvilla

Cadet
Hello,

I have been working on installing & running windows server 2016 or 2019 with FreeNAS 11.2-U5 with no success then upgraded to U6 which gave same outcome. I Have valid windows server 2016 which I have tested installing on a physical server which ran successfully. When creating new virtual machine with windows server 2016 standard image it allows me to configure all install wizard option & save virtual machine, when I go to start virtual machine it goes right into the Bhyvee shell screen. I had this situation in the past with running ubuntu desktop install but was able to go exit out of shell & into its BIO's, boot from file successfully. When I try to run this task it does not display the proper efi boot file it shows a BootIA32.EFI instead of the bootx64.efi that the iso install file has.

I tried with a windows server 2012 just to test if it was the version, when starting FreeNAS bhyvee with windows 2012 server it prompts the press a key to continue and properly allows me to start, configure the install & installs successfully. I have tried different window server 2016 version images & still get same issue of not booting into the install module nor does it allow me to start from file. I am getting to the point where I think its just not compatible & should just find a work around on FreeNAS. I have extra systems where I could run windows server on physical host but I have more then enough resources on my FreeNAS server which I would rather figure out how to run on FreeNAS box.

Any experience with this situation of windows server 2016 or 2019 on freenas 11.2-U6 would be greatly appreciated. If I am missing something or if its not compatible to move on and install on dedicated box.

I appreciate your time and help!

blanchet

Guru
Check that you have the following option in the VNC devices
[x] Delay VM Boot until VNC Connects

Otherwise you will not have the time to press a key to boot from the CDROM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you use the default wizard options, the installation of Windows 2019 is straightforward (but very slow because Windows VM works only with AHCI emulation for the disks)
I have just tested installing Windows Server 2019 EVAL on my HPE Microserver Gen8 running FreeNAS 11.2u6

Go to ui/vm, {ADD}

1: Select VM wizard
  • Virtual Machine (VM) Wizard type: Virtual Machine (VM)
2: Operating System
  • Guest Operating System: Windows
  • Name: win2019
  • Boot Method: UEFI
  • [x] Start on Boot
  • [x] Enable VNC
  • Bind: 192.168.0.10
3: CPU and Memory
  • Virtual CPUs: 1
  • Memory Size (MiB) : 8192 (Installer may crash with only 4096 MiB)
4: Hard disk
  • (x) Create new disk image
  • Select Disk Type: AHCI
  • Size: 60 GiB
5: Network interface
  • Adapter Type: VirtIO
  • Mac Address: 00:a0:98:79:61:d6
  • Attach NIC: bge0
6: Installation Media
  • /mnt/tank1/iso/winserv2019/Windows_Server_2019_Eval_EN.iso
7: Confirm Options
  • {SUBMIT}

To load the virtio driver for the Ethernet interface, you need to add a second cdrom
Edit Devices of the VM, add a 2nd cdrom and mount
/mnt/tank1/iso/virtio-win-0.1.141.iso

• Power ON the VM
  • connect the VNC web console
  • Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... (you have about 10 seconds to do it)

The Windows Installation starts normally

The only trick is to load the virtio driver

Which type of installation do you want?
  • Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)

Where do you want to install windows?
  • Load driver
  • Browse E:\NetKVM\2k16\amd64
  • Redhat Virtio Ethernet Adapter

When windows installation is finished, you can clear the following VNC option
[ ] Delay VM Boot until VNC Connects

Last edited:

ric

Contributor
Id like to try installing an ESXi vm, can I use the same nic driver?