Windows dashboard, like Drobo

SDSpivey

Cadet
I am looking to build a server rack storage with TrueNAS. But I do not see any monitoring program that I can run on my main computer to notify me of problems.

I have used several Drobos and the Dashboard program does notify me right away, if my computer is on.

Using a web interface, or relying on email isn't good enough for me. I likely won't remember to check for weeks, so my data could be corrupted by then. I need notifications right away.

Unless I've misread or over looked something, all the software on this site is "on-server." TrueCommand appears to be "cloud" only and I would have no local program.

Are there any (Windows) programs that can do this? Any 3rd party?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

danb35

Hall of Famer
relying on email isn't good enough for me. I likely won't remember to check for weeks
Seriously? You don't check your email for weeks at a time?

TrueNAS SCALE can also alert via Slack, Telegram, and Mattermost, and a number of others I don't recognize; CORE can do most of these as well (with the apparent exception of Telegram). So, unless you're a technological hermit (in which case, what are you doing here, or with a NAS?), you'll be notified of any problems if you set one of these up properly.

But to address your question directly, no, I'm not aware of any Windows desktop application that would do this--there certainly isn't any "official" iX application for this purpose. TrueCommand may be able to run under Windows/Docker, but it'd still be a web interface to it, and if you're going to be logged into a web interface anyway, you might as well log into the NAS itself. Your best bet would likely be to look for a desktop SNMP monitoring application

SDSpivey

Cadet
I wouldn't remember to check the web interface for weeks. I do check email semi-regularly, but email isn't a reliable notification method.

Thank you HoneyBadger, I will look into that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
email isn't a reliable notification method.
Then you should work on that. In the meantime, there are nearly a dozen other options natively supported by TrueNAS.

HoneyBadger's advice won't give you a local desktop application; it'll just give you another web interface to check.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Email is unreliable, period.
Nonsense, but irrelevant, as you continue to ignore what I've now told you twice: there are lots of other notification mechanisms you can use.
You are not helpful either.
I'm so sorry that you don't find my correct and responsive posts helpful. Or not. Or more accurately, I'm more than a little sick of people whining about a perception of "tone" when they don't get answers they want.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the folks here have been very helpful in trying to provide you a solution and @HoneyBadger I think hit the nail on the head, even if it does have a subscription fee. If that isn't exactly what you want then I would recommend you submit a feature request to iXsystems.

I likely won't remember to check for weeks, so my data could be corrupted by then.
If your data is important to you, check your email or log into the TrueNAS GUI periodically, neither takes much effort.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
even if it does have a subscription fee.
There's no subscription fee for TrueCommand, as long as you have fewer than 50 drives. The problem that I see is that it isn't the desktop application OP seems to be asking for; it's just another web interface. If OP has more than one NAS to manage, it can be helpful, because it's a single interface for all of them. But if not, it's just "a different web interface."

joeschmuck

Old Man
There's no subscription fee for TrueCommand, as long as you have fewer than 50 drives.
I misread the webpage then. I thought it said $6 for every 30 drives. Well that sounds pretty cool, maybe I will take a stab at it as well.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I thought it said $6 for every 30 drives.
That's if iX hosts it for you. I don't know what the cost is for self-hosted and > 50 drives, but self-hosted with fewer drives is free.

MrGuvernment

Patron
Email is unreliable, period. Messages can take days to be delivered, or not at all.

You are not helpful either.

If messages are taking days to be delivered, than said email infra was not configured properly.

Any system to monitor will require either an app to run and start on your system (PRTG) or a UI to launch and check, so as noted above unless you configure something to send to Slack which can do "desktop notifications" in most OS's...your limited

danb35

Hall of Famer