Windows backup machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerpling2

Patron
If you wanted to get something a bit newer, you could look at something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/372048378198
http://www.ebay.com/itm/372048378198

You, kind sir, are the FreeNAS eBay Hardware King! ;)

You must have a couple tabs open on eBay to keep an eye on the market! The deals you have pointed out are very good deals! We need a thread for people to ask the master and get guidance on getting a good used system.

May be we can get a mod to create it for you! You have my vote! :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you wanted to get something a bit newer, you could look at something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/372048378198
That is a good deal. Six bays isn't a terribly efficient use of 2U, but sometimes six bays are all you need.
It only has the bare minimum of RAM but it is upgradable to 32GB and you would need to add a disk controller to be able to use all the drive bays,
Why? Six bays, six SATA ports on the motherboard. But the RAM is a little more annoying--they've filled all the sockets with 2 GB DIMMs.

farmerpling2

Patron
I just want something to back up my windows files. Movies, music, pictures, my documents, etc. The odds of the drives in my Windows machine and any external storage failing at the same time are slim. Anything that is really irreplaceable I have uploaded to Google drive and Dropbox. I have an i3 machine with a 1 & 2 gig hard drives running a base copy of FreeNas that is strictly for my outdoor network camera. Have had no problems.

Take a look at UrBackup. Free for home use. Not enterprise, IMHO, but for home use it works quite well. Client - Server software.

You can do file backup and/or image backups. I tried it because someone on this forum mentioned it. I had my doubts, but after a couple weeks of running it, I am pleased.

Here is a little speal about it from their website.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UrBackup is an easy to setup Open Source client/server backup system, that through a combination of image and file backups accomplishes both data safety and a fast restoration time.

File and image backups are made while the system is running without interrupting current processes.

UrBackup also continuously watches folders you want backed up in order to quickly find differences to previous backups. Because of that, incremental file backups are really fast.

Your files can be restored through the web interface, via the client or the Windows Explorer while the backups of drive volumes can be restored with a bootable CD or USB-Stick (bare metal restore).

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's Free, Open Source software. Use restrictions aren't compatible with an Open Source license. Besides, it says right on its home page that
As long as you adhere to the terms and conditions of the license you are allowed to use and redistribute UrBackup in a personal and commercial setting.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why? Six bays, six SATA ports on the motherboard.
Because two are SATA3 and the other four are SATA2, and I just prefer SAS. Options abound and this is just one of many.

farmerpling2

Patron
It's Free, Open Source software. Use restrictions aren't compatible with an Open Source license. Besides, it says right on its home page that

Well done!

I have it running in a jail. There is a install guide on their website - UrBackup FreeNAS Install Guide

I was expecting a horror show to install, but have to say, it went fairly smoothly. Image backups use differential (128KB). Not EMC Networker in polished functionality, but for free it really works quite well.

Really works quite well on laptops. Can backup over internet if you wish. I am getting ready to backup desktops. Will also backup Unix machines. Getting ready to do this for a Linux Mageia machine. For fun of it, I might do it on my pFsense machine. Does not backup phones - wish it would, but oh well. Again,it is free.

Last edited:

AlexMata

Dabbler
I have a FreeNAS server for home use with similar specs to the one you want to build, Xeon X3220 (the equivalent of a Q6600) 8GB ECC RAM and for the moment only 2 TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB. It works fine as a file server for 2 computers and plex streaming to one client but I don't think it can do much more.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Take a look at UrBackup. Free for home use. Not enterprise, IMHO, but for home use it works quite well. Client - Server software.

You can do file backup and/or image backups. I tried it because someone on this forum mentioned it. I had my doubts, but after a couple weeks of running it, I am pleased.

Here is a little speal about it from their website.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UrBackup is an easy to setup Open Source client/server backup system, that through a combination of image and file backups accomplishes both data safety and a fast restoration time.

File and image backups are made while the system is running without interrupting current processes.

UrBackup also continuously watches folders you want backed up in order to quickly find differences to previous backups. Because of that, incremental file backups are really fast.

Your files can be restored through the web interface, via the client or the Windows Explorer while the backups of drive volumes can be restored with a bootable CD or USB-Stick (bare metal restore).

That looks awesome, and I haven't seen something similar in the forums yet. Maybe this topic should be discussed in another thread. WI will also try the software. Looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.