Windows 8 Connected Hosts Can't See FreeNAS-Stored Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASA

Explorer
Has anyone figured out how to make FreeNAS stored files visible on your network to computers running Windows 8? I am running version 8.3 of FreeNAS and I can access files stored on my server via computers running Windows XP and Windows 7, but I can't seem to make my computer running Windows 8 see the files over my network.

:confused:

toddos

Contributor
Works just fine for all of my Win8 machines, including a Surface. More details about your setup? How are things not showing up? Can you navigate to your nas shares manually (\\ip.address.of.nas\sharename) even if you can't see them in your network map?

NASA

Explorer
Thanks, toddos:

I'm glad to know it is not a problem endemic to Windows 8 (Pro). I will try your suggestion. The only thing I have done different from the default network setup is to rename my workgroup. Another problem I have is accessing the GUI page of the server with the new version of IE: if I restrict cookies to only allow session cookies I get an error instead of the page. I'll get back to experimenting tomorrow and let you know.

toddos

Contributor
I'd avoid using IE for the FreeNAS admin page. At least for me, it doesn't render the treeview on the left. Works just fine in Firefox and Chrome. The error I see is:

Code:
SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'getRoot' 

Looks like this and probably your cookie problem are issues with the Dojo toolkit on IE.

NASA

Explorer
I just downloaded Firefox on my Windows 8 machine and tried accessing my server via "\\ip.address.of.nas\sharename" but I still cannot get there.

JaimieV

Guru
"\\ip.address.of.nas\sharename" is to the shared volume, use that in Explorer, not a web browser.
"\\ip.address.of.nas\" is for the web browser.

And (forgive me!) swap out the "ip.address.of.nas" for its actual IP address! :p

JaimieV

Guru
You're getting jaded, dude. Happens easily, I know.

NASA

Explorer
"\\ip.address.of.nas\sharename" is to the shared volume, use that in Explorer, not a web browser.
"\\ip.address.of.nas\" is for the web browser.

And (forgive me!) swap out the "ip.address.of.nas" for its actual IP address!

I have tried this, believe me, and for some strange reason, I have not been able to get it to work. My Win 8 machine does not want to see my XP machine either.

NASA

Explorer
Ah ha! Just got it working by entering my FreeNAS IP address (only) in explorer!

JaimieV

Guru
Probably a workgroup problem - make sure all the boxes have the same workgroup set, it helps Win7+ immensely.

win8man

Cadet
Win 8 Cant connect to NAS

Has anyone figured out how to make FreeNAS stored files visible on your network to computers running Windows 8? I am running version 8.3 of FreeNAS and I can access files stored on my server via computers running Windows XP and Windows 7, but I can't seem to make my computer running Windows 8 see the files over my network.

:confused:

Try making this change to your registry..
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\RequireSecuritySignature

set parameter to 0

Hope this helps

:smile:
win8man

NASA

Explorer
I was already able to solve the problem: turns out I was using an illegal name for the server (two words with a space between them), Windows 8 is sensitive to this but Windows 7 is not, but thanks--what exactly does your fix do?

Status
Not open for further replies.