Windows 2016 cannot access shares

dcol

Dabbler
New FreeNAS user here. Followed all the guides and videos to setup my shares. I have five Windows 10 desktop that can access the FreeNAS shares just fine. But the Windows 2016 server cannot. Keeps coming up with 'The specified network password is not correct'. The Windows firewall is disabled and I have the servers username in the FreeNAS users and setup the same way as the desktops. Even if I use a username that works in the desktops, it does not work in the server. What am I missing?
All shares are setup as SMB ACL shares. None of the shares with any username will work on the server. They all work on the desktops.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

dcol

Dabbler
I do have SMB services enabled on the server. And the server can see the shared files on the desktops.

dcol

Dabbler
Windows 2016 can see every share on the network EXCEPT on FreeNAS. And every other computer on the network can see the FreeNAS server. I am going to have to dump FreeNAS since the purpose here is to backup the server. I also have a ReadyNAS and the server can see that just fine.
Tried creating new users and using existing users that work on the desktops. Tried rebooting FreeNAS. Nothing works.
This is definitely a FreeNAS issue.

Yorick

Wizard
Fully understood. If you want to see what's going on before you dump it, you can add this to aux parameters:

log level = 1 auth_audit:5

of the SMB service, then restart SMB, and try the access.

Then look at /var/log/samba4/log.smbd from CLI, best accessed via SSH.

I am curious as to what's going on. Usually the issues are pretty simple, like wrong account being used / account mapping having an issue.

Could also be an attempt to access without encryption, the log would show that.

Edit: Just out of curiosity as well: That 2016 isn't set to still use SMBv1, is it? 2016 supported SMBv1 at one point, before that became an undesirable config, of course.

dcol

Dabbler
Found it after a full day of google searching. Had to set the local network security LAN Manager authentication level policy to 'Send NTLMv2 response only'. I did try to enable NTLMv1 in FreeNAS and that didn't work.

Hope this helps others.