Windows 2012 backup to Freenas problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longy

Cadet
I've got an issue with Windows 2012 doing a Windows backup to the Freenas box (CIFS Share). Seems to get so far and just fail. Seems random when this happens. It looks like it lost the connection to the Freenas Server even though it's online.

Event Log:

"The backup operation that started at '‎2012‎-‎12‎-‎18T22:26:05.209098700Z' has failed with following error code '0x8078015B' (Windows Backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder. Please retry the operation after making sure that the remote shared folder is available and accessible.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

First time it failed after backing up 50GB second time it got to 190GB. Backup Size is around 500GB total.

Before the Freenas I had it doing the same backup to another Windows Server 2003 share and it had no issues.

Gigabit network.

Is there anything I can tweak on the Freenas or a log I can find on Freenas to see what happened that end? I'm new to Freenas.

Backup happens overnight so no other traffic on the server or network.

Thanks

JaimieV

Guru
What hardware is the FreeNAS - specifically, what network card? Some aren't well handled under FreeBSD.

Can you replicate the problem outside an automated backup, eg by simply copying a large file (eg multi-gig DVD image) to the NAS?

Longy

Cadet
What hardware is the FreeNAS - specifically, what network card? Some aren't well handled under FreeBSD.

Can you replicate the problem outside an automated backup, eg by simply copying a large file (eg multi-gig DVD image) to the NAS?

It's a Old Dell Poweredge SC1430 4GB Ram using SATA drives no SCSI Broadcom NIC.

I'll try a large file copy this evening.

joeschmuck

Old Man
4GB of RAM shouldn't cause it to fail but how many drives and what size is your ZFS pool? Can you toss some system specs? Also, you said Windows 2012, is that Windows Server 2012? What backup program are you using? Which version of FreeNAS are you running? The more information you provide, the better the odds you find someone able to help.

Longy

Cadet
4GB of RAM shouldn't cause it to fail but how many drives and what size is your ZFS pool? Can you toss some system specs? Also, you said Windows 2012, is that Windows Server 2012? What backup program are you using? Which version of FreeNAS are you running? The more information you provide, the better the odds you find someone able to help.

Details as follows:

FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M)
1.3 TB SATA HDD RAID1
Dell PowerEdge SC1430 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz
ZFS File System
Windows Server Essentials 2012
Windows Server Backup Role - Full Backup including system state and bare metal
Gigabit Zyxel Switch connected another Zyxel Switch via Fibre

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is there any tweaking you can do to the backup software, options that might allow it to backup better to a non-windows server? Also if you want to rule out the FreeNAS you might be able to use a different backup program. I'm sure there are others here who have had experience with Windows Server Backup, I personally use Acronis.

Longy

Cadet
Is there any tweaking you can do to the backup software, options that might allow it to backup better to a non-windows server? Also if you want to rule out the FreeNAS you might be able to use a different backup program. I'm sure there are others here who have had experience with Windows Server Backup, I personally use Acronis.

Well the backup got to 260GB last night and gave up with the same message. I tried a file copy with large files and it seems OK. I have got Symantec System Recovery 2011 which I got with the new server from Dell however it's not compatible with 2012 until the new version is out in the New Year so Windows backup is just a stop gap really.

I might try the ISCSI and see if I get the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.