Windows 10 VM create

langdon

Cadet
Please see signature for system. I am getting the same error as others but I have done the normal checks and tried both new and legacy interfaces.

The below error repeats 10 or so times
[EFAULT] VM Win10VM failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured

To reveal this error.

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 165, in call_method
result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1096, in call_method
return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1044, in _call
return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1139, in start
await self._manager.start(vm)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 62, in start
list(done)[0].result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 317, in run
raise CallError(f'VM {self.vm["name"]} failed to start: {output}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM Win10VM failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured

I have check and confirmed my MB/cpu supports virtualisation and the bios settings are correct.

I believe it is a permission issue with the ISO or something to do with my NIC setting, I am going to try Ubuntu for troubleshooting.

Any advice welcomed, I will provide screenshots (if I can in here) later.

Peter

langdon

Cadet
Hi,
No i haven’t, I tried Ubuntu with the same result. I have been on holidays since the 26th of September and have a mate coming to look at it in a few days on my return. Hopefully I can resolve it by then or soon after. I will post my progress then.

langdon

Cadet
Were you able to resolve this?
I have resolved the unable to create VM side of things. I had to change/enable three setting in my UEFI bios. IOMMU (although that was on auto so maybe it was ok), SR-IOV and SVM. I am pretty sure that is them, I am still in the middle of an install on Windows 10 and have issues with VNC after the initial install.

I have been able to install Ubuntu on a VM, although I had to have a couple of goes as I didn't allocate enough ram(I think).

Peter
System details
FreeNas-11.2-U6
Motherboard - Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Ram - 2 x Crucial 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
M.2 - Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PSU - 750w
Sata drives - 4 x 1TB - as a start