Will this setup FreeNAS? (Ryzen, ECC)

The_Others

Cadet
At this time I have an old mint based RAID 1 server(2 x 4 TB and for the raid one 2 TB non raid). The Hardware is old and it is showing signs it might break down any time now. Before it breaks down I would like to build a new system.

User case

This is a kind of chicken and egg situation as I did not use a Free NAS OS before, so maybe I want to do more with the system than described in this user case. I do not know if FreeNAS or other options as OMV is the best choice for me.

Sofware I would like to use

1. File share with SAMBA and or NFS
  2. Zone Minder (a surveillance software system)
  3. I want to run virtual machines like WIN10, Mint and more so I can log in to it with another machine on the network and use this OS
  4. Software to manage photos using the CPU power of the server, so I can use a low powered chromebook.
  5. SSH
  6. Wake on LAN
  7. It must be silent as possible so maybe it is possible to do Zone Minder can store data on a SSD and after a while turn on the RAID 1 HD's and copy the contect from the SSD to the RAID HDD's and turn off the HDD's again. I do not know if it is possible maybe someone can tell me.
  8. Backup data to the cloud
  9. Want to be able to log in to the FreeNAS with a web browser or virtual desktop
  10. maybe more as it is a chicken and egg situation for me

Hardware I think I would like to buy
  1. Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master SLI reasoning: M2 Pcie3.0x4, 6x SATA-600, network Intel I211AT, ECC support, no active fan (?). Price 150 Eu
  2. 256 gig Samsung EVO plus for the OS reasoning: already have got this one, it is fast etc.
  3. One of these CPU's the 2600 has got more cores 6 and the 3100 has got 4 cores but has got faster memory access. Both CPU's have got 2 threads per core.
    1. AMD Ryzen 3 3100 reasoning: 16MB level 3 cache, DDR4-3200, faster compared to the old i3 and the new i3's do not support ECC. Price: Eu 130
    2. AMD Ryzen 5 2600 reasoning: 16MB level 3 cache, DDR4-2933, faster compared to the old i3 and the new i3's do not support ECC. Price: Eu 146
  4. 2 x Kingston KSM32ES8/8HD (= 2 x 60Eu) OR 2 x Kingston KSM32RS8/8MEI (= 2 x 50 Eu) reasoning: it is 2 x 8 gig ECC do not know which option is the best choice.
  5. An old used pasive videocard EN9400GT to be honest I do not know if I can use it because it is a PCI-e 2.0 x16 reasoning: Old but I will only use it to install the OS then I hope I will never use a monitor again for this server. I even saw some low cost usb videocards but I do not want to spend too much time on this subject.
  6. A Big CPU cooler so it will not make too much noise, (I hate noise) Price: about 60 Eu
  7. A old Lian Li computer case,it has got 4 x 3.5 "bays and 4 big ones reasoning: enough room for the 3 HDD's, it is functional
  8. A old Be quit S8-400W PSU reasoning: I already have got it
  9. HDD's for the datastorage: 2 x 'old' 4TB WD Red drives 1 x a 2TB (the 1TB is a nice to have and does not contain data I will have sleepless nights about when it is lost)
Remarks

I also did take a look at some Motherboards with a CPU on it, but they did not support all the functions like ECC still I find them tempting because of the low price point.

Questions
  1. Does anyone has got some experience with a ASRock X470 Master SLI Motherboard?
  2. If I build it I would like to test the system without the HDD's in it to see if it is stable enough what is the best way to do this?
  3. What do you think of the above setup? For me this is a lot of cash so I think I better ask before buy.
  4. Are Ryzen CPU's stable? I did read some horror stories about unstable Ryzen systems but that was when the Ryzen was relative new to the marktet.

I hope some of you can help me with the above

rvassar

Guru
Requirement #3 - You're going to need more memory than the minimums. I've run Linux VM on 16gb, but the performance suffers because the ZFS ARC shrinks. Also... The VM's in FreeNAS work, but they're not that solid. I had problems with timekeeping, and odd CPU scheduling. I never tried running Windows 10. I'm hoping to bump up past 32gb one of these days and try again.

Requirement #4 - No clue. Plex will manage photos, and is a supported plugin. Perhaps not what you want.

Requirement #6 - Not sure you'll get that to work at all. I'll let someone else comment.

All the others are either built-in or supported plugins.

ThreeDee

Guru
I used to run the x470 Master SLI as my gaming rig (Windows 10) rig .. it ran well for that..

If you want low cost setup that runs good for your home server .. check out my setup in sig.. DDR3 ECC RDIMMs are very cheap to get, 4 x 16GB cost me $70.. these Chinese knock off's support quad channel memory for near DDR4 performance. I bought the cpu/motherboard/4 x 8GB ECC DDR3 RDIMM's for $125 US .. sold the 32GB of RAM and got 64GB.

Anyways .. another option and confirmation that it works well with TrueNAS. :cool: