Ryzen 7 2700 ASUS X470-F

traCk

Dabbler
Ok guys, I have had a Freenas server running for years on 'proper' hardware. A 4 core ivy bridge xeon, ecc, supermicro MB etc

I currently have a Workstation PC I am decommissioning, because of Zen 2 lowering Ryzen prices as much I'm not sure its worth parting out.

The core of the system is a Ryzen 7 2700 (non-x) and a ASUS X470-F

I currently have regular DDR4, but would probably feel more comfortable with ECC.

Is ECC Support pretty good with ASUS motherboards?

I feel like for the only 200ish dollar I would be putting in my pocket selling the Mobo/CPU I would rather go from 4c/4t to 8c/16t on my Freenas

Thanks!

troybs1d

Dabbler
You'll need unbuffered ECC for any "consumer" grade AMD CPU & this holds true even going back to FX based processors. That board should be able to handle it as the memory controller is on the CPU & even B450 made by Asus are "confirmed" to work with it. The main issue about unbuffered ECC is though that they are damn expensive compared to used Registered ECC memory like what is widely available on eBay.

I got a free FX8120 (gift from my AMD rep) & ultra cheap GA-990FXA-UD7 board when I worked at a computer/electronics store but I paid $385 for 4x8GB sticks of unbuffered DDR3 ECC when I initially start testing FreeNAS (9.0 I believe as I remember upgrading to 9.1).

Currently (Feb 2020) 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz sticks of unbuffered ECC is $105 while the same spec'd and manufacturer sticks of registered ECC off eBay is only $55. You could probably upgrade you get a used E3-1270v2 (4c/8t) for $80 & if you wanted a RAM upgrade - registered ECC DDR3 16GB sticks for $27 each.

traCk

Dabbler
You'll need unbuffered ECC for any "consumer" grade AMD CPU & this holds true even going back to FX based processors. That board should be able to handle it as the memory controller is on the CPU & even B450 made by Asus are "confirmed" to work with it. The main issue about unbuffered ECC is though that they are damn expensive compared to used Registered ECC memory like what is widely available on eBay.

I got a free FX8120 (gift from my AMD rep) & ultra cheap GA-990FXA-UD7 board when I worked at a computer/electronics store but I paid $385 for 4x8GB sticks of unbuffered DDR3 ECC when I initially start testing FreeNAS (9.0 I believe as I remember upgrading to 9.1).

Currently (Feb 2020) 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz sticks of unbuffered ECC is $105 while the same spec'd and manufacturer sticks of registered ECC off eBay is only $55. You could probably upgrade you get a used E3-1270v2 (4c/8t) for $80 & if you wanted a RAM upgrade - registered ECC DDR3 16GB sticks for $27 each.

Good call, I might just stick with my dedicated freenas system and throw VMWare or something on this Ryzen system