Will FreeNAS pull in users from domain1 when joined to domain2 and domain2 has a trust with domain1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmerru

Dabbler
The title pretty much says it all. I have a domain that our division uses for servers etc, which I was planning on joining FreeNAS to, but the user accounts we all use are in domain1, which domain2 (our division domain) has a trust with.

Will this setup work? I would join Freenas to domain2 and setup CIFS shares that have permissions on them, and the AD accounts being given permissions exist in domain1.

D

dlavigne

The Allow Trusted Domains checkbox in Active Directory should support this, assuming domain trusts have been properly configured.

zimmerru

Dabbler
Great, I hadn't seen that option yet but as soon as the DNS entry gets added i'll get it joined and give it a try. Thank you for the quick response!

zimmerru

Dabbler
I have this setup, and I turned on and configured CIFS, setup a share, but when I go to select users and groups to give permissions to the share, only users and groups from domain2 are showing in the dropdown menus.

How can I go about adding users or groups from domain1 to the share permissions? or is that not possible?

zimmerru

Dabbler
So the box I was looking at was the owner user and group, which appears to only allow users/groups from domain2, which is fine I happened to have 1 user account in domain2, and then I was able to add permissions for users in domain1 remotely. Sorry for jumping the gun on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.