Will cpu swap lower power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doktor-X

Dabbler
Hello, i have one question i have amd phenome x4 9750 in gigabyte ma790fx-ds5 motherbord and total power consumption is on idle about 100w without gpu installed in system. TDP of that cpu is 126w but i can replace that with Athlon II X2 260u that is dual core rather then quad but tdp is 25w so will system with that cpu consume lower amount of power?

danb35

Hall of Famer
The general rule with reasonably modern-generation Intel chips is that swapping one chip for another (of the same generation/socket/etc.) isn't going to appreciably change total power consumption for a given workload. I'm not sure how well that would translate to AMD chips with an antique board like that.

It probably will not matter much on the idle power. The TDP is more peak related so all you are doing is losing the ability to transcode or do big operations that need the umph if you are using them. Since you are using Plex you will be going from a CPU that can handle things but just on the borderline to a cpu that will do nothing but puke.

Honestly if you are wanting to save more money on power you will be better off getting a newer system built out. A Pentium G4560 passmarks around 5000 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G4560+@+3.50GHz but has a TDP of 54W so basically it uses less than half the power at maximum usage with twice the horsepower as your Phenom https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+9750+Quad-Core and has almost 5X the horsepower as the Athlon II https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X2+260u

Plus getting a server board vs a gaming board will help shed some power usage as well. Not to mention that getting off the DDR2 RAM will give a bit of a performance boost as well.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello, i have one question i have amd phenome x4 9750 in gigabyte ma790fx-ds5 motherbord and total power consumption is on idle about 100w without gpu installed in system. TDP of that cpu is 126w but i can replace that with Athlon II X2 260u that is dual core rather then quad but tdp is 25w so will system with that cpu consume lower amount of power?
You didn't tell us anything about what else is in the system. It is likely that the power is being drawn by other things more than by the CPU, but what @nightshade00013 said is also true, you have to get off the old hardware to really economize the electrical draw. DDR2 was really hot because of how much power it consumed.

Doktor-X

Dabbler
Currently this system is not in use like FreeNAS server (I only try to run FreeNAS to see if system will run) so beside ram 4x1gb (will swap with 4x8) and one 64gb ssd, one 1tb wd black and one 3tb wd green this is all that was in system in time of testing.
Edit:
All this is running thermaltake 600w power supply W0103

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.