Why is ZFS ID so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've been looking at how to replace a drive and what shocks me is when you perform a 'zpool status' command, the output looks like this for me.

Code:
freenas# zpool status
  pool: storage
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/0a97f8bd-b024-11e0-9509-001966a308e1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/0b85f2f0-b024-11e0-9509-001966a308e1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/0c5d84bf-b024-11e0-9509-001966a308e1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/0d4240cf-b024-11e0-9509-001966a308e1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
So why is my identifier so darn long "gptid/******...." ? I don't even know what this long number represents.

So now I'm asking for some help because I'd like to use a more manageable name like ada0, ada1, etc... like so many examples I've seen on the web.

I was trying to replace a drive but had no luck and ended up destroying my pool. No big deal, two days of data transfers will bring it back to full use but I think while I'm playing around with the pools that only a few GB's are in order until I'm done.

I actually am running 64-bit Beta-4. Tag line tells the rest of the system.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
That was Fast.... Thanks, I'll give that a shot. You must have have this problem before to answer so quickly.

-Mark

UPDATE: That works like a charm. Here are the changes...

If Zpool status reports long gptid values for each drive, modify /boot/loader.conf as follows:

mount -uw /

cd /boot
ee loader.conf

add the following two lines:

kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0
kern.geom.label.gpt.enable=0

Escape and save, reboot.

Now try zpool status, much better.

This would be nice as the default setting.

Milhouse

Guru
so it's unique.

here is a thread on how to revert to the 'normal' labels,

Thanks.

Worked for me too, "zpool iostat -v" is now much more readable! :)

Unfortunately the "View Disks" GUI continues to show the old identifiers eg. "{uuid}9919eae2-92b2-11e0-aa4b-001b2188359c" (this is 8.0.1-BETA3).

100% agreed.

Brand

That was Fast.... Thanks, I'll give that a shot. You must have have this problem before to answer so quickly.

-Mark

UPDATE: That works like a charm. Here are the changes...

If Zpool status reports long gptid values for each drive, modify /boot/loader.conf as follows:

mount -uw /

cd /boot
ee loader.conf

add the following two lines:

kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0
kern.geom.label.gpt.enable=0

Escape and save, reboot.

Now try zpool status, much better.

I beat you to it and already posted a Disable gpt/gptid labels how to it already in the How-To Guides Section. :p

Brand

Would have been better if you'd given attribution.

I completely agree and guess it slipped my mind in the wee hours of the morning. I will be editing the How-To and giving proper attribution. Thanks for pointing it out.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, beat me to it and I didn't even think to put it in the How To's area. Good on you.

Brand

Even though I beat you to it I wouldn't have created it if you hadn't written your initial post. I am just wanting to clean up the How-To Guides section that is littered with people asking for help rather that actually posting How-To Guides.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, I agree, it's terrible. We need a moderator that is willing to clean it up. I've seen other sites where How-To Guides is nice and clean, well laid out. I know we are off the topic a bit. I think the question has been answer, I know I'm happy.

pauldonovan

Explorer
Are you guys really sure that getting rid of the large gptids is such a good idea? AFAIK the devs switched to this mode for the first beta of 8.01 to help people whose hardware had changed and the drives were being mis-identified because they'd moved SATA port or controller. The mode they're using now avoids that issue. I don't think telling people how to do this is a wise idea as they'll be screwed if they have to change SATA hardware. I'm not sure the devs will appreciate the extra support issues either.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.