Why has the snapshot naming scheme with expiry gone in new UI?

Hi All,

Not sure if Im missing something so please advise if so but in the old FreeNAS UI snapshots were named something like 'auto-20221202.1450-1d' with the '1d' indicating how long the snapshot would last for. The new UI has a similar naming scheme but with no trailing '1d' or '1m' etc so you have no way of knowing at a glance how long your snapshot/s will hang around for.

I have about four snapshot schedules on each server so its nice to be able to go to the snapshots tab and at-a-glance see which ones are which.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and like I say perhaps Im missing something really obvious.

I've started customising the default naming scheme on each schedule which fixes the issue but it seems strange why they would have changed it unless it just got missed?

Thanks

I noticed this as well, yet I manually specify "-6m" and "-3d" for example in my Snapshot Tasks.

I assume the reason they removed this behavior as the default naming schema is so that the Replication Tasks can cover a wider range of relevant snapshots.

For instance, if all your snapshots are named using the schema auto-%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M, then the same Replication Task will continue to catch any newly created snapshots created in the Snapshot Tasks, without having to reconfigure your Replication Task to also include these new ones.

However, if you're using -6m, -3d, -1w, etc, then these snapshots will be skipped in the Replication Task, unless you re-configure the Replication Task to also include those.

I could be way off though.