Why Does I-Drive cron service stop running after reboot?

ryandasilva

Dabbler
Hey everyone. Hope everyone is keeping safe and wishing a happy holiday! I've had this persistent problem that I cannot seem to figure out.
I've always just worked around it but im afraid im going to forget at a critical time and loose data due to a major disk failure and an out of date backup.

I use I-Drive as my cloud storage provider for my offsite backups. Its cheap and works well over my 1.5/1.0 gpbs fiber connection. I had to do something frowned upon to get the cron job/administrative scripts running on the base-os of TrueNAS. I had to enable the FreeBSD PKG remote repo and disable the TrueNAS local repo. Ive read here that it's not recommenede to do that and it's preferred to run this in a jail but i couldnt get it working and its literally wizard script driven, so its a peice of cake.

the hardest part are getting the dependancies that need to be installed before hand which is mostly just python/perl/DB and a few other things; the hardest part was figuring out that the local repo needed to be disabled and the remote one enabled.

Id do the same steps on a jail (minus the repo change) vs console and on the consle the IDrive scripts /cron job would install the service succesfully with zero errors. It runs smooth as velvet, except for the fact that the cron job services have never once survived a reboot.

After a reboot i need to run ./accountsettings.pl , enter my idrive username (email address) and password, kinda next my way thru it, chose not to change anything and then exit. I am successfully logged into the web dashboard and then it gently throws me back to the shell as it should. I can then run the local backup script, or logout and do it the preferred way which is thru the idrive web dashboard. I've managed to upload 10tb of backup data using that dashboard backup method so it definitely works well when the cron job is installed ... until i reboot it. Once again, i then have to run the ./accountsettings.pl, and re-auth to simply re-enable the cron services and log me into the web dashboard.

Also noticed that it says my OS is not compatible with CDP. Why would a very recent version of FreeBSD not be compatible with CDP? What OS's are?

Im wondering if either of these issue would occur in TrueNAS scale as the scripts are primarily designed for Linux, with FreeBSD functionality added on as an after thought. Would a debian based truenas support these scripts better? But most importantly why is this happening (the cron job failure mostly) and how do i fix this?

Thanks so much. Stay safe ya'll. Cheers!

Ryan

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please don't muck with the base OS. By modifying this way, you've placed your installation outside of any support configuration, and you're on your own to fix things.

Cron is controlled by the TrueNAS middleware, which will actively delete jobs manually added to the system cron that haven't been entered into the Tasks->Cron GUI.

The proper thing to do would've been to create a jail, mount your datasets inside the jail, and you can muck with the jail to your heart's content.

You will need to reinstall to get your system back to a supported configuration.

ryandasilva

Dabbler
Please don't muck with the base OS. By modifying this way, you've placed your installation outside of any support configuration, and you're on your own to fix things.

Cron is controlled by the TrueNAS middleware, which will actively delete jobs manually added to the system cron that haven't been entered into the Tasks->Cron GUI.

The proper thing to do would've been to create a jail, mount your datasets inside the jail, and you can muck with the jail to your heart's content.

You will need to reinstall to get your system back to a supported configuration.
I find that applying an update seems to have the same/similar effect. I have one pending update (the latest one). Would applying that have the same effect? I have no other problems whatsoever within TrueNAS and this is the only way i could get iDrive to back up. I will reattempt to do it via jail as it's been quite some time, and a full system rebuild since i last tried. Thanks.