why do I want to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccssid

Explorer
This may seem like silly question, but here it goes:

I am now running with

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)

My usage is for document storage and plex media server (Version 1.3.3.3148)

Nothing more. Everything seems to running as intended, other than my miserable upload speed afforded to me by my ISP.

Anyway, would there be any compelling reason as to why I should, or would want to, upgrade either my PMS or FreeNAS?

Reading through the forums I see a multitude of people having all kinds of issues after they upgrade. Thus, the reason for my question.

Thank you.
(note: I may have duplicated this thread, so please forgive me)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an age old adage. If it aint broke dont fix it.

ccssid

Explorer
My exact feelings. The primary reason for this question is, more than once, I have read that one should keep Plex and FreeNas up to date to ensure security. Is there any rational to this line of thinking? And, on the other hand, why is everyone so h*ll_bent on updating to the "latest"?

Are you fearful russian hackers are going to watch your collection of disney movies? Then you must update.

ccssid

Explorer
Not particularly

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Im on the current versions of both and there are no issues. Ive never had any of the issues the others had. I always update the second i see an update is available in the gui or freshports. Matter of preference i suppose, i say if it works, leave well enough alone. In the past i read the release notes and if there are nothing in the update for me, i leave it alone.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
And, on the other hand, why is everyone so h*ll_bent on updating to the "latest"
Because, SHINY!!!

There are several users out there that never update past the initial install. If you are comfortable with that then so be it. As @John Digital mentioned if it aint broke don't fix it.

Having said that if you do ever run into trouble and seek help on the forums you'll likely be hard pressed to find help with an old version. One of the first thing you'll likely be told to do is upgrade to see if it goes away. So to me that's a pretty compelling reason to stay reasonably current.

I wait on new updates until they've been fleshed out a bit and see how others are doing. If there aren't too many reports of issues I update. If I have a problem I roll back to my previous boot environment and stay there until the next update surfaces.

ccssid

Explorer
Good rationale.....Thanks to the both of you.

ccssid

Explorer
Get the polish out...just bumped up to : FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yer moving kinda slow, it was released 2 days ago. ;)

ccssid

Explorer
It's my type "A" personality

pschatz100

Guru
I run updates approximately once every four to six weeks. Never more often than that. At the end of the day, if all is working well, there is little reason to update unless an update fixes a particular problem you have - which is not likely in most home servers.

Plato

Contributor
I am also using my NAS like you and I was going to reply here but decided to open a new thread to write about my experience. It could give you an idea.

Glorious1

Guru
The primary reason for this question is, more than once, I have read that one should keep Plex and FreeNas up to date to ensure security.
9.10 will continue to be updated for some time, so security is not a reason to move to Corral. For me it is just too new, I'd rather wait until the bugs are worked out and there are more tutorials and how-tos on setting up the stuff I have no idea about.

Status
Not open for further replies.