Just upgraded to 11.2 and I had to recreate my Snapshot and replication schedule. Do I need to do anything else?

I've just upgraded from 9.10.2-U5 to 11.2-U5 and aside from kicking myself for not even considering installing each release (i.e. 11.1) along the way, everything seams to have gone perfectly fine (see below for more details of my upgrade methodology). My old Warden Jails and Plugins are back up and running, all my services are switched back on (although I did have to input my UPS monitoring password) etc.

There is one thing I've noticed though... the upgrade lost my Periodic Snapshot and Replication tasks. So I've had to recreate them.

My questions are-

1. Is losing the Periodic Snapshot and Replication tasks normal/expected behaviour?
2. Is there anything else that might have been disabled or wiped out that I should check?
3. (having seen a comment from @Chris Moore that recommend upgrading to each major release, one by one) what are the risks when skipping major release versions whilst upgrading?

--------------

Here's my upgrade methodology.

• Created a firmware upgrade USB stick to flash my LSI 2308 to the latest firmware.
  • Stopped all Jails and Plugins on my 9.10.2 install
  • Stopped all service on my 9.10.2 install
  • Exported my pool on my 9.10.2 install
  • powered down the system
  • disconnected the power cables to all disks attached to the LSI 2308 SAS ports
  • booted into 9.10.2 and upgraded from 9.10.2-U5 to 11.2-U5
  • rebooted into 11.2-u5 to see if I'd get a warning about mismatched firmware version (I didn't).
  • rebooted into the EFI shell and upgraded the LSI Firmware
  • rebooted and double checked the firmware flash was successful.
  • rebooted into 11.2-u5 to see if I'd get a warning about mismatched firmware version (I didn't).
  • powered down the system and reconnected the SATA power cables.
  • booted into 11.2-U5
  • turned all Jails, Plugins and services back on.
  • Checked the above was all up and running... it took a while to be able to connect to my Deluge Jail using my GTK client but after a quick `service deluged restart` everything seams to be working.
  • realised that my replication and snapshot tasks were gone!

D

dlavigne

TBH, I'm surprised that that was the only glitch as you jumped nearly 3 years worth of bug fixes and features.

The reason why we recommend incremental updates (and testing in between before going to the next) is to ensure that the config migration works from one major update to the next. Having said that, the worst that might happen in a big jump is that the config will miss a migration and you'll have to reconfigure from scratch.

Do you think it'd be wise for me to disconnect my pool (to be extra safe and avoid any SAS firmware issues), boot back into my 9.10.2-u5 enviroment, restore the config backup taken before I upgraded and then upgrade my way through the various versions?

D

dlavigne

If you're already updated and it mostly works, I'd say stick with that :smile:

I've had an even closer look through the various menus and there are a few more things I've found that don't look right. Both my Scrubs and S.M.A.R.T. schedule showed as being set to custom but when clicking on the schedule in order to view it, nothing had been selected. No disks were selected with either task, so I had to re-select them. The Scrub threshold was also incorrectly set to 35 rather than 10. I've fixed them now by setting them to one of the default schedules.

I'm getting a little worried now that in my desire to finally get around to upgrading, I might have made a mess for myself by overlooking one thing.

If I comb through every last WebGUI menu, fixing any issues I find as I go, is it still possible that something that may have got screwed up during the config migration won't be fixed? In other words, is there anything in the config that isn't exposed/fixable in the WebGUI?

[EDIT] I've gone through every page in the Web UI and basically, anything that ran on a schedule needed to be redone. Perhaps it was because of changes in the way you're able to create tasks in 11.2 vs 9.10.x (where I had previously configured the task to run on the same day, every other week... which doesn't appear to be possible in the new UI). I also checked through the SMB, SSH, S.M.A.R.T. and UPS Services configurations and the only thing that look like it may have changes was in the SMB settings where "Zeroconf share discovery" and "Allow Execute Always" were enabled... I'm pretty sure I had the "Allow Execute Always" disabled in 9.10.2's UI... I don't even remember the "Zeroconf share directory" option in the old UI.

Last edited:
Hi Dru,

Thanks for your replies so far (it's always great to have a dev repsond) but I'm strongly considering going with a fresh install for peace of mind if nothing else. I've created a new thread on the subject (https://www.ixsystems.com/community...igure-from-scratch-but-use-an-old-pool.78425/) but I'd still be interested in having an answer to the quesstion I asked above please... just for future reference and in order to learn something new about what info is contained within the config file.

If I comb through every last WebGUI menu, fixing any issues I find as I go, is it still possible that something that may have got screwed up during the config migration won't be fixed? In other words, is there anything in the config that isn't exposed/fixable in the WebGUI?

Thanks again and keep up the good work!