Where has my data and free space gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsguy

Your nested shared directory was visible from the CLI.

If you cd /mnt/Home/Shared/Shared and then ls, do you see your duplicated files and folders? Please post those results.

upload_2017-11-24_13-57-53.png

t_ams1st

Dabbler
Yes it was, I didn't look hard enough
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# cd /mnt/Home/Shared/Shared																						
[root@freenas /mnt/Home/Shared/Shared]# ls																						 
.windows		AUDIOBOOK	   BOOKS		   Metadata		photo		   Plug-ins		Shared		  USL1.xlsx		   
Aiki			autorun		 Cache		   Music		   Plug-in Support reapercode.txt  Software							
[root@freenas /mnt/Home/Shared/Shared]#

I also appear to have an infinity of /mnt/Home/Shared/Shared/Shared/Shared etc.

upload_2017-11-24_19-44-49.png

I think this has been me trying to get Plex up and running, I've somehow managed to duplicate a lot of my folders but not all.

I've started deleting files from /mnt/Home and all seems well so far.

I would still like to have an idea how I've managed to make such a mess.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would still like to have an idea how I've managed to make such a mess.
Unfortunately if we could do that then we would know the winning lottery numbers and be filthy rich. We have no idea what you did.

t_ams1st

Dabbler
upload_2017-11-25_8-16-26.png

Mostly back as it was.

The infinite Shared folders have been caused by my numerous attempts to get Plex to find my data, I think. There was a "create directory" tick box somewhere and along the way that I left ticked knowing the folder already existed. My music folder was also in three different places, I have a sonos network speaker. I had similar difficulties getting it to work and kept making changes one at a time to try and get it to work.

Even after all that I don't understand why this would result in files being copied. I was under the impression that the data only has to reside in one place and I'm only telling different programs where to look?

When deleting my duplicate files I have ended up with some I can't delete because they are "open in another program", I don't have any of these files open. How do I find out in FreeNAS what is using them?

Anyway time to get Plex and my Sonos speaker working again, carefully and slowly this time!

As wonderful as FreeNAS is, it is all too easy to tie yourself in knots by "trying" different settings without really knowing what you are doing, back to the book!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.