Where are 'Pending Updates' stored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradoxiom

Patron
Can someone please tell me where pending FreeNAS updates are stored on the server?

I need to delete mine and I can't find where they are located.

I've sifted through the server using WinSCP and I can't find them, someone please help me out, and afterwards, this really ought to go into the documentation or something because I can't find the answer to this anywhere online...

Thanks in advance.

Nick2253

Wizard
Why are you trying to get rid of pending updates? I think you've got an implied solution here to a different problem. What are you really trying to solve?

paradoxiom

Patron
Why are you trying to get rid of pending updates? I think you've got an implied solution here to a different problem. What are you really trying to solve?

My pending updates were corrupted or something during download and when applying them it hangs and then everything explodes. It has happened before, I simply need to delete the pending files and redownload them but I did not make a note of where I found them last time this happened.

Does nobody know where they reside?

D

dlavigne

An update hang is usually caused by not enough space on the boot device. What is its current capacity (from System -> Boot)?

paradoxiom

Patron
An update hang is usually caused by not enough space on the boot device. What is its current capacity (from System -> Boot)?

Boot device
Boot Volume Condition: HEALTHY

Last Scrub Run on: Fri Sep 11 19:06:31 2015
Size: 57.5 GiB

Used: 1.1 GiB (1%)

D

dlavigne

Just to be clear, you unchecked the box "Apply updates after downloading" and then clicked "Apply pending updates" at a later time? If so, you may have found a bug. Which build are you on (from System -> Info)? And do you remember about how long it was between the download and the apply (hours, days, weeks)?

paradoxiom

Patron
Just to be clear, you unchecked the box "Apply updates after downloading" and then clicked "Apply pending updates" at a later time? If so, you may have found a bug. Which build are you on (from System -> Info)? And do you remember about how long it was between the download and the apply (hours, days, weeks)?

I did do that actually, yes.

http://i.imgur.com/tBtEnP3.png

top is the starting build and the update is the bottom one, and the duration between downloading and applying it can't have been more than an hour at best.

Thanks

rogerh

Guru
I did do that actually, yes.

http://i.imgur.com/tBtEnP3.png

top is the starting build and the update is the bottom one, and the duration between downloading and applying it can't have been more than an hour at best.

Thanks
This has happened to me a couple of times and I don't know if it was a bug or a corrupted file. However, the workaround of downloading the manual update file and updating through the GUI worked each time. On the last occasion, the whole update process worked apparently normally but the server wasn't rebooted, and the 'on reboot' boot image was left at the current one although the new boot image was available. I manually rebooted from the new image, worried that something might be wrong, and applied the same build's update file. No apparent ill-effects.

paradoxiom

Patron
This has happened to me a couple of times and I don't know if it was a bug or a corrupted file. However, the workaround of downloading the manual update file and updating through the GUI worked each time. On the last occasion, the whole update process worked apparently normally but the server wasn't rebooted, and the 'on reboot' boot image was left at the current one although the new boot image was available. I manually rebooted from the new image, worried that something might be wrong, and applied the same build's update file. No apparent ill-effects.

The error is something about a python module, and I think once when I updated my Plex jail using this method SSHing into the jail:
Code:
# jexec Plex tcsh

#service plexmediaserver_plexpass onestop

# pkg update -f

# pkg upgrade

# pkg search plexmediaserver

# pkg upgrade plexmediaserver-plexpass

# service plexmediaserver_plexpass onestart

after pkg upgrade there were a few upgrades, as I expected since that was the idea, and one of them was python at least one time between Plex updates.

now this was just done in the Plex jail, which as far as I know is self-contained from the filesystem of FreeNAS anyway, correct me if i'm wrong there, so I don't see how that could affect it especcially as the plex jail seems to run fine after the server starts up and puts that error out, but just wanted to mention it.

D

dlavigne

top is the starting build and the update is the bottom one

Aah, that may be the issue then. Funky things happen when you switch trains and try to update. Even funkier things happen if you take a config from a newer version (nightly) and try to apply it to an older version (stable). There's been talk amongst the devs about how to make this less painful but I'm not sure if there is an active ticket on it.

As to how to unstick your situation, what happens if you boot into the Nightlies BE, make sure the Nightlies train is selected and try to update? Or, if you're more interested in sticking to Stable, what happens if you boot into the STABLE BE, make sure the Stable train is selected, and try to update? Do either of those scenarios work?

Can someone please tell me where pending FreeNAS updates are stored on the server?

I need to delete mine and I can't find where they are located.

Thanks in advance.

Could someone please answer this? I’d like to check the checksum before applying the update. Thanks!

diedrichg

Wizard
I'd like to know as well. I had, for some reason, downloaded the 11.2 beta files (never intended to apply them). I'd like for those to not even exist on my system until I actually feel like upgrading to 11.2; ~6 months after it becomes stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.