SOLVED Whats writing all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainwulf

Explorer
Chasing down the crappy read speed i have with the seagate archive drives, and i have discovered this.

What is continuously writing to the pool?
JSDJHwU.jpg

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Its normal and can be ignored. it's for logs and that graphing data you are looking at.

Please try searching before asking, that question is one of the most asked questions on here.

Rainwulf

Explorer
Ahh, so its not written to the system drive? And does this mean i cant power down my drives to save power?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ahh, so its not written to the system drive? And does this mean i cant power down my drives to save power?
Correct power down drives usually doesn't work and actually cause premature failure of drives because of the extra cycles requires to spin up and down the drives.

Rainwulf

Explorer
Ah ok, so let them spin.

Ok these are the archive drives, the ones that have limitations on their write speeds. Can i get the reports saved to the boot volume? I wish to limit all writes to these archive drives.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ah ok, so let them spin.

Ok these are the archive drives, the ones that have limitations on their write speeds. Can i get the reports saved to the boot volume? I wish to limit all writes to these archive drives.
Might be an option under settings in the GUI but your boot drive will die in a couple weeks. USB medias can't handle writes that well. Your write performance isn't affected by logs getting written to disk, those disks are just terrible for writes.

Another option is to use a ssd for jails and logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.