What's the oldest version of FreeNAS that can be upgraded to 9.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken76

Dabbler
I know version 7 is basically a different project, my question is: can 8.something be upgraded in one step? If so, would you recommend using the GUI upgrade or booting from 9.3 installation ISO?

I have a machine running 8.3.0 and serving a few iSCSI targets that I would like to upgrade to the latest stable version. iSCSI performance has improved in 9.3 has it not?

D

dlavigne

Personally, I'd do a fresh install into a vm, import your 8.3.0 config into that install, and see what blows up. That will give you a good idea which configs, if any, migrate properly and which are problematic.

Chicken76

Dabbler
Personally, I'd do a fresh install into a vm, import your 8.3.0 config into that install, and see what blows up. That will give you a good idea which configs, if any, migrate properly and which are problematic.
Hmm... can you import configs from different versions? I always thought configs are only good for the version they were saved from.

D

dlavigne

Yup. Depending upon how old they are, you may run into import issues which is why it's useful to test first in a vm or test system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should do an upgrade to 8.3.1, 9.1.1, 9.2.0, 9.2.1.9, then 9.3.

Chicken76

Dabbler
You should do an upgrade to 8.3.1, 9.1.1, 9.2.0, 9.2.1.9, then 9.3.
Oh my!
At some point I should install on a bigger thumbdrive, as it's running on a 4GB one right now. Probably after I upgrade to 8.3.1, save the config, do a fresh install on a bigger drive and then continue forward with that, right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh my!
At some point I should install on a bigger thumbdrive, as it's running on a 4GB one right now. Probably after I upgrade to 8.3.1, save the config, do a fresh install on a bigger drive and then continue forward with that, right?
Leave it until you do 9.3.

That way, it'll be easier to add a second drive and mirror them. FreeNAS 9.2.x fits comfortably on a 4GB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.