What's the Best Way to Use CIFS and FTP on the Same Dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1236

Cadet
I need access to files over Windows SMB/Unix/Mac etc through file explorers on those platforms but also need FTP access to the server remotely, my current problem is that users aren't able to create a new folder over FTP, and only I can create a new folder over SMB, no one else? What do I do? I've updated to the latest version and still have the same issue.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Setting ACLMode to Passthrough seems to make it work, what are the long term effects of using ACL passthrough?
Good question...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Good question...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It's the same as changing the dataset permissions type to "Unix". Leaving it in this state will eventually result in permissions getting jacked-up. I was aiming for my last comment in the thread I linked above.

Another option may be to configure your ftp server to prevent chmod. I haven't messed with proftpd (which I assume is what FreeNAS uses), but you might be able to add the following parameter:

Code:
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
DenyAll
</Limit>

The reasoning behind this suggestion is that things work better if the service doesn't allow clients to try something that they can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.