What stupid thing did i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin McD

Cadet
I'm a n00b at all this so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a HP Micro server and for my birthday got 3 3TB disks, i then installed these and installed a copy of Freenas 9.1 onto a USB stick, I'm using zFS storage.

I had the storage shared out OK and was able to copy music and photos onto the storage and i could access it from PCs around the house.

I then wanted to try to set up a DLNA plugin (so could get access on my iPad) and somehow managed to get my knickers in a twist and screwed it up, that didn't seem to be too bad i thought i would just delete the jail and then start again.

Somehow when i did all this i managed to loose all the data that i had shared. It was only some MP3s and photos and i have a backups of most if it but i am a little unsure as to what i did that lost the data.

When i look at the storage in the GUI i can see that the Data volume has 97.7GB used (this would be about the size of my data i had stored) but i don't seem to be able to see it in my share.

I thought that it would be a good idea to try and start again so rebuilt it and ran the auto import volume, recreated a share and when i look at the storage i once again see that my Data volume has 97.7GB used but still I am unable to see this data.

What stupid thing must i have done to my system and what can i do to get it visible again?

Any help and pointers would be greatly received.

Thanks

Colin
c:\temp\storage.jpg

D

dlavigne

Did you "Add Storage"? If so, you may have done this (from http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Adding_Jails#Adding_Storage):

This operation creates a pointer to the selected storage directory on the FreeNAS® system. It does not create a copy of that data within the jail. This means that if you delete any files from the Destination directory located in the jail, you are really deleting those files from the Source directory located on the FreeNAS® system.

This is why backups are a good thing. ZFS snapshots are really cool too :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.