What sort of GPU should I get to run a virtual machine?

Connor19

Cadet
Tried to set up a windows VM and realised that it won’t work without a dedicated GPU. I have an i7-14700K which I intend to use for video conversions and edits on this virtual machine since the software I use is CPU intensive. Since I need to get a GPU to actually run a virtual machine, what sort of GPU should i get? Does it need to be powerful or is it just a case of any GPU will work just to get the VM running and then the integrated GPU will do most of the heavy lifting in the windows VM?

I am trying to keep the power consumption down so wasn’t intending on getting a powerful GPU but will if needs be.

sos_nz

Explorer
I got a GeForce 1060 for TrueNAS use. It works well enough for my Jellyfin hardware transcoding, which is what I got it for, butsince it's being used for that, it isn't available for VMs. Would do fine for that too though (in essence, each GPU can either be used for apps or a VM, but not both).

LarsR

Guru
I've been running windows 10 and 11 vm's without dedicated gpus since the scale beta, so i'm a bit puzzled to why your vms dont run without a gpu since my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics.