What rack cabinet depth for rack servers with rails?

Forza

Explorer
Hi!

I'm looking to replace an old cheapy full-height rack cabinet with a new one. What sizes should I go for? The old one is 600x800 and it is not deep enough to fit HPE server with the rails. The server itself fits on a shelf, but there is not much room.

There is an option to get a Rittal cabinet that is 800w x 1000d x 2000h mm with Fan-based ventilation which is good enough to dispel over 1000W.

What should I be looking for in a good cabinet?

Currently I am going to have some HPE servers and a SuperMicro 847BE1C4-R1K23LPB storage server in it.

blanchet

Guru
Pick a very robust and very deep cabinet because the newer storage servers are heavier and deeper than before.
Servers with 60, 90 or more disks are now on the market, and they hit the zeroU PDUs if the rack is too narrow.

For example, iXsystems recommend the AR3350 APC to host their biggest JBOD.

2.3 Rack Requirements

At minimum, the ES102 requires 4U of space in a EIA-310 compliant rack that is 47.24” (1200mm) deep, from frame to frame. The vertical rack rails need to be spaced between 31.5” - 36.2” (800mm - 920mm) apart to properly install the ES102 rails. It is recommended to adjust the front vertical rack rails to be as close to the front of the rack as possible to prevent the cable management arms (CMAs) from protruding from the back of the rack. The system with CMAs attached is 47.1 (1197mm) deep.

The rack must be a standard 17.72” - 18.31” (450mm - 465mm) wide, although a minimum 29.5” (750mm) cabinet width allows for using a zeroU PDU with the enclosure. Narrower cabinets could require a rack-mounted PDU to properly allow the enclosure to be fully installed into the rack and properly cabled with the included Cable Management Arms.

For 52U racks, iXsystems recommends the AR3357X674. In a 42U rack, iXsystems recommends the AR3350 APC. It is recommended to use the lowest 4U of available space in the rack to better balance the weight of the system with other equipment installed in that rack.

These APC racks can be easily purchased from Dell (with a DELL logo). If it fits in your datacenter, pick the 1200 mm-deep rack instead the 1070 mm model, as suggested by iXsystems.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Modern rack gear has been getting deeper because of a trend in the data center to bill by the rack, making increased equipment density a driving force in server design. This is foolish and stupid, but persists regardless. Older racks are typically shorter depth and will have trouble with some of the extremely deep modern gear, so it is probably beneficial to go as deep as you can.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

Forza

Explorer
Thank you! Indeed the 6029P-E1CR24L is 829mm deep whereas the chassis I ordered is 699mm deep. I think the 1000mm chassis would be ok then. A 1200mm deep would be very large in the space I can put it in, so I preferr to avoid it if possible.