What old/legacy dGPUs are supported?

brian3726

Cadet
The hardware docs don't mention anything that would let me know how old of graphics cards are supported in terms of models/series/drivers so I'm asking here. I'm building a few systems and would like to know which of these will work out of the box, need extra configuration, or are unsupported:
  • launched 2008-06-16 GeForce 260 GTX
  • launched 2008-07-16 GeForce 9800 GTX+
  • launched 2010-10-11 GeForce 430 GT
  • launched 2011-01-25 GeForce 560 GTX Ti
  • launched 2013-05-30 GeForce 770 GTX
As to why: Even though I'd rather run these machines headless, I think I'll need any GPU in the consumer motherboards for them to pass boot and in the short term want to save costs by reusing my current inventory.

Neverminds

Cadet
i'm using a 430GT.. have not run into any issues for install and boot.. removed it once running and have placed it back when needed to do bios things etc..

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello @brian3726 - for basic display output of the console, effectively any card will work, even very old PCI cards, or the embedded/integrated GPU on a CPU.

Bear in mind that consumer motherboards may not have some of the ideal feature set for TrueNAS (eg: ECC support) or have extra unnecessary functionality (audio, Bluetooth, WiFi) that might cause challenges if not disabled.

I would consider finding a bulk lot of low-power PCIe cards rather than using the higher-power GTX series just to get console output - or it may be possible, depending on your motherboard, to set the system up with the GPU and then remove it for subsequent boots.

Cheers!