What is the best way to move storage volumes to new hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zemun2

Explorer
What is the best way to move storage volumes to new hardware?
I'm currently running ACER's AC100 but soon to be replaced with HP Proliant Microserver Gen8.
I would like to reuse the ssd I have running plugins and hd's that are set up as single volume.
Is it possible to install freeNAS on the new box and then import the volumes (ssd and hd's) without loosing any data?

Don't really want to go through the process of installing everything if possible.

Thanks
Dejan

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Just shutdown the old system, move all the drives to the new system, then turn it on. You might want to set the boot order in the BIOS, but that is about as tough as it should be.
No reinstall needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

zemun2

Explorer
Just shutdown the old system, move all the drives to the new system, then turn it on. You might want to set the boot order in the BIOS, but that is about as tough as it should be.
No reinstall needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Even the USB stick with the FreeNAS OS?

zemun2

Explorer
I’ll try that over the weekend just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You can make a backup of your config, just in case, but yes, move the boot USB stick over to the new computer and boot off of that USB stick. There's no reason for you to have to reinstall FreeNAS.

Last edited:

zemun2

Explorer
Thank you sir

danb35

Hall of Famer
Guess you should backup your config file and make a clean install on the new system.
Wouldn't agree with this as a "should", though it's certainly a possibility. But 99%, it's "move everything over and you're good." Someone should write a resource on this.

zemun2

Explorer
Done.
Worked great.

Thanks for all the help

Dejan

Status
Not open for further replies.