What is the best use of my drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tefoster

Dabbler
I just went through a situation where I lost all of my information and it is time to start over. This time I want some sort of backup seperate from my main storage. I currently have 7 2T WD20EARS drives + 1 750G drive. I can fumble my way around the GUI to create a zpool but I am not familiar with any advanced command line commands. I do have one more 2T WD20EARS drives that I can fit in if it makes things work out easier. What is the best use of my drives and how do I go about getting it setup? I've been reading for a while now and I have found some good articles but none of them seem detailed enough for me to follow. I am not a *nix person but I can get things done with some guidance. The storage will primarally be used for multimedia, TV, Movies, Music, Pictures...

Thanks,
Tom

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
have you used freenas before? Theres very detailed guide to creating your zpool without touching the command line. I would go 8 x 2TB in raidz2 but your storage / data reliability needs may be different.

Also make sure to force 4k formating with your 2TB drives

paleoN

Wizard
This time I want some sort of backup seperate from my main storage.
Does this mean you want a separate physical machine or ...?

tefoster

Dabbler
I guess that is what I am asking for help with. Should I go with 2Tx4 and mirror 2Tx4 or is 2Tx8 raidz2 a safe enough configuration? I know how to create the 2Tx8 but I don't know how to do the 2Tx4 and mirror it.

Thanks,
Tom

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
tefoster I'm not sure if I'd assume a mirror of 4 drives would be safer then a raidz2 of 8 drives. with a mirror if you lost 2 drives (one from each mirror) you'd lose your data, conversely you could also lose 4 drives from the same mirror and be fine. So I guess it's really variable which is more safe. (I wish statistics and data for this was more prevalent)

Raidz2 would perform better with sequential read / writes but mirrors would have an advantage with IOPS. RAIDZ2 has more of a CPU hit and would take longer to recover from a drive failure.

paleoN

Wizard
I guess that is what I am asking for help with.
If you are building 1 FreeNAS box I would go with Joshua's first suggestion of 8 X 2TB WD20EARS in raidz2 giving you 12TB raw. You would need to lose 3 drives at the same time before you lost the zpool.

How much space do you need? I now remember reading your zpool FAULTED thread. I suppose a second local pool would help protect against that. Though by that point I would prefer to have a 2nd FreeNAS box to replicate to.

tefoster

Dabbler
Thank you all for your suggestions, It looks like I'm going with the 8 X 2TB WD20EARS in raidz2 configuration.

Thanks,
Tom

paleoN

Wizard
Just a word of warning, make sure all of your 2TB WD20EARS are healthy. You will be much better off running with 6 healthy X 2TB WD20EARS raidz2 than running 8 X 2TB raidz2 with a few marginal drives tossed in.

tefoster

Dabbler
paleoN,

Can you please elaborate on your last comment, I don't understand why a 6 drive array is better than an 8 drive array with marginal drives?

All of the drives are good, after my recent disaster I did a thourough test of all the drives and RMA'd all of the faulty drives back to WD. So currently all 8 drives are healthy.

Thanks,
Tom

paleoN

Wizard
If all of your drives are healthy then you are good to go.:)

A 6 healthy drive array is better because all 6 drives are healthy!

Oh, and what I meant by marginal drives are ones that have or had errors or are acting flaky in some fashion. In other words they are on a short road to death or causing corruption. While Raidz2 protects you from 2 bad drives it would essentially mean you are running with no redundancy if something happened to one of your other drives.

So in my example the 6 drive array was better because all the drives were good. Not because a 6 drive array is better than an 8 drive array.

Status
Not open for further replies.